The Alps-Adriatic Master Scholarships are awarded to highly qualified graduates of Bachelor studies from third countries in the extended Alps-Adriatic region* who wish to pursue one of the Master’s degrees at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt listed below. Following an international call for applications, the best candidates will be selected in a multi-stage process involving a selected scholarship commission of the respective area of expertise.
The Alps-Adriatic Master Scholarships aim to pursue the following objectives:
- Enhancing internationalisation at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
- Increasing the number of international students from the extended Alps-Adriatic region at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
- Increasing diversity in the Federal State of Carinthia and at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
- Expanding the international alumni network of Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
Alps-Adriatic scholarship holders will:
- Gain access to excellent higher education opportunities in an international study environment
- Become part of a vibrant international campus
- Join the international alumni network of Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
*Third countries of the extended Alps-Adriatic region in the EU priority region Western Balkans listed in the current DAC list of developing countries and territories (valid for the reporting years 2018-2020): Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia
Scholarships are awarded to highly qualified prospective Master students starting their studies at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt in the summer semester 2021 in one of the following Master Programmes:
- Master in Adult and Vocational Education
- Master in Applied Cultural Studies
- Master in English and American Studies
- Master of Education – German
- Master of Education – English
- Master of Education – French
- Master of Education – History, Social Studies and Political Education
- Master of Education-Computer Science
- Master of Education – Italian
- Master of Education-Mathematics
- Master of Education – Slovene
- Master of Education – Spanish
- Master in German Studies
- Master in German Studies in an Intercultural Context (Double-Degree programme)
- Master in History
- Master in Media, Communications and Culture
- Master in Philosophy
- Master in Romance Studies
- Master in Science, Technology and Society Studies
- Master in School Education
- Master in Slavonic Studies
- Master in Social and Integrative Teaching
- Master in Visual Culture
Applicants must meet the requirements for admission to the target Master’s degree programme at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt and must be able to prove that they have either very good German or English language skills* (depending on the target study programme).
Applicants must be citizens of one of the following third countries of the extended Alps-Adriatic region (in the EU priority region Western Balkans): Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia. The applicants’ place of residence at the time of application must be in a country other than Austria. Given a sufficient number of applications, a balanced ratio of both male and female applicants will be considered.
*at least B2 or C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
- Monthly scholarship in the amount of EUR 650,- (March to February)
- Scholarship period: max. one academic year (12 months)
- One-time lump sum for travel costs: between EUR 135,- and EUR 235,-*
- Scholarship holders will be exempted from paying tuition fees for a maximum of 5 semesters in the case of proven academic performance.
Scholarship holders can also attend a German semester course at a reduced fee.
*depending on the country of origin
Scholarship application and selection procedure
The application for the scholarship must contain the following documents:
- Convincing letter of application in German or English, depending on the language of instruction of the selected Master’s degree programme (cover letter including a letter of motivation)
- Curriculum vitae in German or English, depending on the language of instruction of the selected Master’s degree programme
- Completed application form for admission to the selected Master’s degree programme at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt
- Transcript of records
- Scan of passport (data page with name and photo)
- Two letters of recommendation by university lecturers/professors from the university at which the Bachelor’s degree programme is being pursued/was earned with attached translation into German or English (stamped by the faculty/department)
Note: No open application call at the moment.
The selection procedure consists of the following phases:
- Verification of formal requirements
- Evaluation of the applications by a scholarship commission
- Skype interview
- Granting of scholarships
Please note: The scholarship can be awarded only in combination with the admission to the degree programme at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt. The formal fulfilment of all application requirements does not imply any legal entitlement to financial support. Funding will be awarded on the basis of competition and available funds.
The application for the admission to Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt must contain the following documents*:
– Proof of a completed Bachelor´s degree programme (e.g. Bachelor certificate) original documents issued by the attended university with attached certified translation into German or English**
– Special university entrance qualification (“eligibility letter”) to the selected Master´s degree programme issued by a state or state-recognised university in the country of issue of the Bachelor certificate with attached certified translation into German or English*
– Proof of language proficiency required for admission: Level B2 or C1 (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR) depending on the language of instruction and respective requirements of the selected Master’s degree programme at Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt (accepted documents)
*Documents required for admission may vary depending on the desired study programme
**For further information about the legalization of documents, please contact the competent national authority in the country of origin.
- Scholarship holders will receive assistance by the International Office of Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt in applying for student health insurance in Austria.
- Scholarship holders can book accommodation in a student residence via the OeAD Housing Office. The monthly costs for a place in a student dormitory in Klagenfurt are* approx. EUR 265,- to EUR 365,-.
*As of April 2019, subject to change without prior notice
“I am an Alps-Adriatic Scholarship holder, and to be honest, it is one of the best experiences in my education.”
Read the full interview with Ms. Maric here.