- Up-to-date information is available about local crèches, children’s groups, kindergartens and after-school clubs (pricing, availability of places etc).
- Advice on legal questions related to parental leave, statutory maternity leave etc.
- Advice about financial benefits, e.g. childcare allowance, part-time parental leave, family allowance, tax deductibles.
- Advice on all issues relating to children, childcare, pregnancy, and parental leave, with consultations also available during pregnancy and during parental leave.
- Planning support for starting work / returning to the workplace.
- Help with finding childcare places in daycare facilities.
With increasing life expectancy and demographic change, there is a strong probability that staff and sometimes students will find themselves required to take on responsibility for providing care for sick or elderly family members. Reconciling the demands of caregiving with studying or pursuing a university career is always difficult in terms of time management and represents a major physical and psychological stress factor.
For this reason we support university members in this difficult situation with information and practical measures to facilitate the reconciliation of working and studying with the challenges of caregiving. We strive to offer:
- Advice and organisational support
- Information sessions with professional inputs open to all members of the AAU university community
- Referrals to professional support services
The availability of reliable, high quality, fun and caring childcare is a must for all students and university personnel who want to combine studying or working at the AAU with handling family responsibilities. A limited number of places are also open to non-university families (subject to availability).
The AAU Familienservice offers:
- Flexible childcare Service for children from 8 weeks to 12 years
- Summer Daycare (August) and Informatics-Camp (July)
- Babysitter Referral Service
The AAU has already introduced a wide range of infrastructure improvements to make the university campus more family-friendly for parents and children.
Diaper-changing facilities and quiet spaces
Throughout the campus there are baby-changing facilities, including some accessible to fathers/ men. The installation of additional changing tables is planned.
Family parking spaces
Two specially marked family parking spaces are available in the Car Park West with further family parking spaces planned. These spaces are reserved for families with young children who need access to the university.
Quiet room for pregnant women
As is required by law, pregnant employees must have access to a quiet room for lying down and taking a short rest. For this purpose pregnant women are granted access to Room I.1.40 in the North Wing (next to the doctor‘s office).
The AAU has a medical room for the use of employees. This room is used by the university occupational-health doctor, Dr. Ursula Stollberger, for medical check-ups, personal consultations, vaccination programmes and other occupational health measures.
Since 2011 the AAU Klagenfurt has been recognized as a certified family-friendly university following the successful completion of the „hochschuleundfamile“ audit. The AAU is proud to have gained this accreditation. At the AAU we constantly strive to serve as a role model as a family-friendly organisation.
The goal of the on-going audit process – the AAU undertakes a re-audit every three years – is to identify problem areas and work out strategies and packages of measures to improve the situation in such key university fields as study organisation, teaching and research, working time management, qualification and leadership, time-out management, health and employability, services for families, childcare provision, supporting caregivers in reconciling care responsibilities with career pressures, financial engagement, as well as the all-important organisational policymaking and communication.
Parents and others involved with childcare responsibilities are very welcome to participate in networking events. The Familienservice has organized many networking events for families over the years such as parent-child cafés, parent-child picnics, parent-child craft workshops, and parties at special times of the year, e.g. Nikolofeier in Advent.