Huawei Technology Scholarships
Huawei Technologies Austria GmbH (Huawei), together with the University of Klagenfurt (AAU), is awarding four scholarships to highly qualified Bachelor graduates in the ICT sector who want to pursue a Master’s degree programme at AAU’s Faculty of Technical Sciences (TeWi) and start their studies in the winter semester 2023/24.
The scope of funding and scholarship benefits for Huawei Technology Scholarships correspond to those of the University of Klagenfurt Technology Scholarships.
Huawei Technologies is a leading manufacturer of telecommunication solutions and has extensive expertise in fixed network, mobile network, and IP technologies. The technology company employs around 194,000 people worldwide, more than 45 percent of whom work in research and development. Huawei has been represented in Austria since 2007 with a location in Vienna and employs around 120 people in Austria. The company supports young students in Austria in the form of various initiatives, such as the Huawei Support Programme in cooperation with ÖJAB and the “Seeds for the Future Programme” for young students, and specifically fosters young, talented Austrian academics in the ICT sector.
Based on an agreement with AAU, OeAD – Austria’s Agency for Education and Internationalisation publishes the call for applications, accompanies the selection process, awards the scholarships and offer its services to the selected scholarship holders before and during their stay in Austria.
Join our online info event for prospective applicants on 25.01.2023 at 3 p.m. (CET) and find out more about the Technology Scholarships programme.
Access link: https://classroom.aau.at/b/tos-2ze-84h-ghk
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree relevant for one the Master’s degree programmes listed below in one of the following countries/regions: Albania; Algeria; Argentina; Belarus; Bosnia and Herzegovina; Bulgaria; China; Croatia; Democratic Republic of Congo; Egypt; Estonia; Greece; Israel; Jordan; Kosovo; Latvia; Lebanon; Libya; Lithuania; Montenegro; Morocco; North Macedonia; Palestinian territories; Poland; Portugal; Romania; Russian Federation; Serbia; Slovenia; Syria; Tunisia; Türkiye; Ukraine; Uruguay; Uzbekistan; Vietnam,
- can prove very good English language skills (B2 or C1, depending on the desired study programme – Common European Framework of Reference for Languages – CEFR),
- are not resident in Austria at the time of application, and
- want to pursue one of the following Master’s degree programmes at AAU and start their studies in the winter semester 2023/24:
- Master in Mathematics
- Master in Game Studies and Engineering
- Master in Informatics
- Master in Information Management
- Masters in Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity
- Master in Information and Communications Engineering (ICE):
AAU aims to increase the proportion of female students in technical sciences and therefore specifically invites qualified women to apply for a Huawei Technology Scholarships.
- Monthly scholarship for the duration of max. 12 months: EUR 800*
- One-time lump sum for travel costs between EUR 25 and EUR 660
Upon proven academic success, scholarship holders will be exempted from paying tuition fees for the Master’s degree programme at AAU.
Scholarship holders will be provided assistance when booking accommodation and applying for student health insurance in Austria
The Huawei Technology Scholarships are funded by Huawei and awarded by AAU.
Given a sufficient number of applications, 50% of available scholarships will be awarded to female applicants.
Application: Exclusively online at https://grants.at
Closing date for applications: 19th February 2023
*supplementary grant, own funds are required
Application and Selection Procedure
The following documents have to be uploaded with the online application:
- Completed application form for admission to one of the Master´s degree programmes listed above
- Bachelor Certificate*and Transcript of Records of Bachelor’s degree programme
- Complete Bachelor Thesis (copy of original)
- Abstract of Bachelor Thesis in German or English
- Proof of English skills: Level B2 or C1, depending on the desired study programme (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR) – C1 level is required for the Master’s degree in Game Studies and Engineering
- Scan of passport (data page with name and photo)
- Two letters of recommendation by lecturers from the university at which the Bachelor’s degree is being pursued/was earned.
*In the case that applicants haven’t completed their Bachelor’s degree at the time of application, the graduation confirmation/Bachelor Certificate must be provided at the latest by March 26th 2023. For applicants who can enter Austria visa-free, the graduation confirmation/Bachelor Certificate must be provided at the latest by the end of May 2023.
Please note: Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
The selection process consists of the following stages:
- Examination of the formal requirements
- Assessment and evaluation of the application by experts (including an online interview)
- Final decision by AAU
Please note: The principle of competition applies to all scholarships, i.e. there is no legal entitlement to a scholarship even if all formal application requirements are fulfilled.
- The scholarship is awarded only in combination with the admission to one of the above-listed degree programmes at the University of Klagenfurt. Please note that master’s degree programmes in Game Studies and Engineering & Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity are subject to the special admission procedure.
- OeAD scholarship holders will be able to book accommodation in a dormitory with OeAD student housing. The monthly costs for accommodation booked via OeAD students housing in Klagenfurt are:
- monthly rent: approx. EUR 255 to 374*
- monthly administrative fee: EUR 21*
- OeAD scholarship holders need to have health insurance that is accepted by the Austrian authorities for the duration of their stay in Austria. OeAD can support scholarship holders in taking out student insurance with the locally competent Gebietskrankenkasse after entering Austria. The monthly insurance premium is 66,79 Euro*. Scholarship holders have to pay for the costs for accommodation and insurance themselves.
- Applicants from third countries/regions (non-EU/EEA countries/regions or Switzerland) may need to provide proof of additional funds to the Austrian residence authority when applying for a “residence permit – student”. The required amount may vary depending on the applicant’s age, individual costs for rent, health insurance and other liabilities.
Please note that scholarship holders are not allowed to take up paid work in Austria while receiving an OeAD scholarship. Paid internships are permitted, as long as they are part of the curriculum and approved by AAU and OeAD.
* As of December 2022, subject to change without notice
OeAD: Katharina Engel (e-mail: katharina [dot] engel [at] oead [dot] at)
AAU: International Office (e-mail: technology [dot] grants [at] aau [dot] at)
9020 Klagenfurt am Wörthersee
+43 463 2700
uni [at] aau [dot] at