Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt invites applications for a
Predoc Scientist (f/m; in German: Universitätsassistent/in)
at the Faculty of Technical Sciences, Institute of Informatics Systems, Interactive Systems Research Group. This is a fixed-term full-time position (limited to 4 years). Earliest starting date is October 1, 2019.
The University of Klagenfurt, Carinthia’s largest academic institution, is a young, lively, innovative university located in the Austrian province of Carinthia, a meeting point of three cultures (more information is available at www.aau.at/en/jobs/information).
The Interactive Systems Research Group (ias.aau.at) deals with teaching and research of methods, techniques and tools for the design and improvement of the use of computer-aided systems. Current research focuses on the concept of User Experience (UX) in the area of mobile interaction and its improvement as well on interaction with and in IoT environments (such as smart home / city / museum…). The Institute of Informatics Systems cooperates with national and international partners from science and industry.
This is an excellent opportunity for a dynamic junior researcher who is interested in engaging in HCI research and Human Centered Computing. The position serves the professional and scientific education of graduates of a master’s or diploma program with the aim of completing a doctorate program in technical sciences. Therefore, applications from persons who already hold a pertinent doctorate (PhD) will not be considered.
The Faculty of Technical Sciences aims to increase the proportion of women in scientific staff and therefore especially invites qualified women to apply. Women with equal qualifications are given priority.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfill the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
- Participation in research and teaching activities of the Interactive Systems Research Group, including interdisciplinary work with partners in cultural studies
- Autonomous research aiming at submitting a doctoral dissertation within the employment period
- Participation in organizational and administrative matters relating to the department
- Participation in public relations activities of the Faculty of Technical Sciences
- Relevant Master’s degree or equivalent diploma degree in a relevant field (preferably computer science)
- Fluency in spoken and written German and English or willingness to redress weaknesses within the first year of employment
- Very good knowledge in the field of software development
Candidates must meet the required qualifications by September 1, 2019 at the latest.
- Sound knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Design and implementation of interactive systems (desktop-based, mobile, AR / VR, …)
- Evaluation of interactive systems
- Participatory design methods
- Voice or gesture-based interfaces
- Interest in applications of computer science in cultural mediation
- Specialist experience abroad and in practice
- Teaching experience and didactic competence
- Good academic results
- First scientific publication(s) (apart from the master or diploma thesis)
- Experience in the field of prototypical development of software and hardware components for experimental interactive systems
- Social and communicative competence
Salary and application
The minimum gross salary for this position is € 2,864 per month (14 x per year; § 27 Uni-KV B1, www.aau.at/en/uni-kv) and can increase due to consideration of previous pertinent experience.
Applications should include a CV, cover letter, as well as copies of certificates, degrees, and the master’s thesis. In order to support the objectification procedure, we ask to be as clear as possible with respect to the fulfillment of the above-mentioned criteria. The deadline for applications is July 10, 2019.
Applications must be submitted online via the Job Portal jobs.aau.at in the category „scientific staff“ by pressing the button „Apply here“ indicating reference code 378/19.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.
For further information on the open position, please contact Prof. Dr. Martin Hitz at martin [dot] hitz [at] aau [dot] at, for organizational and technical questions on the application process, please contact jobs [at] aau [dot] at.