DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
Our fields of research include Applied Analysis (Inverse Problems and Dynamic Systems), Discrete Mathematics, Optimisation and Philosophy of Mathematics. The Department has organised several international meetings and workshops in the above fields over the last few years.
Studying and Teaching
Alongside a top-class Bachelor’s degree programme in “Technical Mathematics”and an English Master’s degree programme in “Mathematics”, the Department offers a teacher training programme in “Mathematics” (BEd. and MEd.).
Doctoral students in Natural Sciences and Technical Sciences are supervised in our relevant study groups.
In addition, the Department offers courses as a service for the fields of Informatics, Information Technology and Business Administration.
The History of the Department at a glance
The Department of Mathematics at the Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt was set up in 1974 with working priorities including “Mathematics” and the “Didactic Methodology of Mathematics”. The “Applied Statistics” field of study was added in 1994, while “Operations Research” was added four years later. Over time, this expansion led to several Departments of “Didactics of Mathematics” and “Statistics”, meaning that currently, the areas of research in Discrete Mathematics, Dynamic Systems, Inverse Problems and Optimisation are represented.
Do you have any questions on our courses, our main research area, or another matter on which we may be of assistance?
- Area of Research Excellence: Multiple Perspectives in Optimization
- Thematic doctoral programme in Mathematics: Modeling – Analysis – Optimization of discrete, continuous, and stochastic systems
- “Modelling – Simulation – Optimisation”, Karl Popper Doctoral College
- Calender Doctoral Seminar in Mathematics
- Department of Didactics of Mathematics
- Department of Statistics
- Faculty of Technical Sciences
- Technical Mathematics Students’ Union Representative