How do I upload my thesis?
- You can upload your thesis independently of your coursework.
- However, you can only upload your thesis once two reviewers have been appointed. Therefore, please check that both of your reviewers have been entered in the Student Portal under the ‘Wissenschaftliche Arbeiten / Academic Theses’ link. If not, please provide their details as soon as possible: Requesting reviewers
Formal criteria concerning the structure of your thesis
- Please refer to the Gestaltung des Titelblatts (or design of the title page template if your thesis is written in English).
- Please attach the current version of the “Eidesstattliche Erklärung” (or affidavit in English). You can download the affidavit in your student portal under “Meine wissenschaftlichen Arbeiten (My academic papers)”.
The contents of both these documents must be included in full, however the layout can be adapted to the style of your thesis.
- Aside from these two documents, you can format your thesis according to your own personal preferences (font, margins, spacing, etc.) You can also decide whether or not you want to include your abstract and/or CV.
What do I need to remember during the upload process?
- During the upload process, you will be asked to provide the metadata for your thesis (to be provided to national and international libraries.) It is a good idea to make sure that you have prepared the following in advance:
– Abstract in the language your thesis is written in (500–5000 characters)
– Abstract in English (if not already submitted as part of the previous point)
– Title of your thesis in the language it is written in and in English
– Subtitle of your thesis in the language it is written in and in English
– Keywords on the topic of your thesis in the language it is written in and in English
- Upload your thesis in the Student Portal under the link “Wissenschaftliche Arbeiten / Academic Theses”:
Create a PDF version of the thesis (max. file size: 70 MB) and upload along with all facts and information. Check your information. If you select ‘Submit work’, you give your consent for the submission of your work, for it to be checked using DocoL©c internet plagiarism software, and confirm the upload. If you abort the submission process, your thesis will not be submitted and you can repeat the process again with a new or amended document. If you complete the submission, you cannot revoke it or amend the document.
- If you have difficulties with the upload, please contact the Central Computing Services Helpdesk (CCS) (tel. +43 463 2700 9666) for advice.
- After uploading, you have initiated the next step, i.e. your electronic thesis is archived and the plagiarism check takes place automatically. In the Student Portal, the status of your thesis will now be set to “uploaded”.
- The compulsory submission of your thesis to the Austrian National Library (ANL) is completed in electronic format only (cf. Statute, Part B, § 19 (10)). The Austrian National Library publishes the doctoral thesis by making it accessible to one user at a time at the library’s premises (single concurrent user on site).
- If you intend to publish a thesis as a book, please contact the publisher promptly. You are entitled to make an application to restrict access to your thesis (put in place a bar) under ‘My applications’ / ‘Make a new application’ in your university account.
Do I need to submit the dissertation also in printed form?
From Oct. 1st, 2023 applies: A printed copy of your dissertation no longer needs to be submitted to the Admissions and Examinations Office. If requested by the reviewer, the author must also submit a printed copy to the reviewer (Univesities Act 2002, Section 19 Para. 6).