- Practical AND theoretical: We provide you with the theoretical foundations of robotics and artificial intelligence that you can continue to build throughout your professional life. You’ll also get robots and drones moving, operate soldering tools and assemble electronic circuits in practical seminars. You have the best labs at your disposal. Among other things, the University of Klagenfurt runs Europe’s largest drone flight hall, where we test innovative future technologies – together with industrial partners from around the world. Adjacent to the drone flight hall, internationally successful robotics companies such as Joanneum Research and Lakeside Labs await graduates like you in the Lakeside Science & Technology Park!
- International setting: Some of the best in their field teach and study in Klagenfurt. More than 40 percent of the researchers and teachers are international. We invite you to immerse yourself in this international and diverse landscape – with language courses in Spanish, Russian, English or Chinese. This equips you for a career path that can literally take you anywhere.
- Getting started in research: Most of our students receive job offers from high-tech companies early on. Many opt to continue their careers in university research and go on to pursue a Master’s degree and a doctorate: Here in Klagenfurt you have every opportunity to do so. The university runs countless pioneering research projects with industry partners – and is always on the lookout for creative young professionals like you!
- We will accompany you on your journey. Are you nervous about disappearing among the masses of students at a large university? That won’t happen to you here in Klagenfurt. For us you are not just one among many, you are special. We want to know who you are, what moves you and what you want to achieve. That’s why we offer very good supervision arrangements, small seminars and compact working groups.
How we are seen
- We excel in rankings!
The University of Klagenfurt is one of the top 2 % universities worldwide.
(Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- We are distinguished by our students!
The University of Klagenfurt has received a Global Student Satisfaction Award.
(Studyportals – the Global Study Choice Platform)
- Our study programmes come highly recommended!
The University of Klagenfurt is recommended by 97 % of its students.
- Top quality is our standard!
The University of Klagenfurt places high value on comprehensive quality standards. Our quality management is EVALAG-certified,
we maintain the highest environmental standards (EMAS certification) and are a family-friendly university.
(State quality label “hochschuleundfamilie”)
- Principles of robotics: We show you how to build robots so that they work safely. Physics – including electricity, magnetism, kinematics and dynamics – plays an important role here.
- Mathematics: New technologies such as drones or robots would not exist without mathematics. We teach you all the essentials you need to know.
- Computer science and software development: We show you how to develop flawless and smooth-running software, taking you through all phases of development: You plan, you design, you implement, and you test. We also introduce you to the theoretical concepts of computer science.
- Artificial intelligence: Here in Klagenfurt, you will find out how to automate smart behaviour and how machines can learn on their own. You learn to recognise when artificial intelligence can be helpful and where its limits lie.
- Information and communication technology: Measurement data, images, videos or voice signals are information that is generated, transported and processed by technical means. The tools you work with are circuits, sensors, actuators or controls. Without information technology, smartphones, medical diagnostic devices, cars, game consoles or robots would not work today.
We help you to acquire scientific skills, and you can use them to good effect: While some people merely code, control or monitor robots and drones, we will turn you into a visionary thinker, designer and trendsetter in the world of robotics and artificial intelligence, with plenty of freedom and scope for action in your professional life.
- Everything you need for the practical setting. Around 40 percent of our lecturers are highly successful in the professional field. What we offer is nothing out of this world, but rather we allow you to take flight.
- Triumph with soft skills. The world of work needs team players who can work creatively and purposefully, regardless of subjects and cultures. In our seminars you will learn how to boost inspiration and efficiency in group work. Here you will learn to become a moderator and manager of projects.
- Reaching for the sky after graduation. Many of our graduates enter professional life straight after their Bachelor’s degree. However, others are eager for more. At the University of Klagenfurt, we are able to offer you Master’s degree programmes, which are specially tailored to your interests: Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity, Information and Communications Engineering (with a focus on Autonomous Systems and Robotics, Networks and Communications, Business Engineering). The choice is yours!
We understand that you might have concerns about the challenges of studying a technical degree in English. But we also know: You will get off to an excellent start! Even though some may find it tough to learn to “think algorithmically” and understand the mathematics behind computer science at the beginning of their studies, with the added challenge of dealing with a foreign language: Later on, our students tell us that it was worth the effort to overcome these hurdles.
We are here for you. If you worry that your language skills are not good enough, we will support you with an English course where you will meet students who feel the same way. If you ever get stuck, or if you feel that the knowledge of mathematics, computer science and/or physics that you learned at school is not enough, we can help you! We have dedicated technology preparation courses for this purpose: These focused workshops in computer science, mathematics and physics will bring you up to speed and help you launch your studies. Taking advantage of these voluntary and free offers will also provide benefits later on: The preparation courses qualify as free elective subjects.
In Klagenfurt you can study at your own pace. To help you follow your path with confidence, we keep it clear of (bureaucratic) stumbling blocks and barriers. If you wish to reach your goal quickly and efficiently, we will always be there to support you. Our recommended course of study will guide you through the semesters. You work your way through the curriculum – making the most of opportunities to broaden your horizons and without wasting time. If you would like to know which courses await you before you start, take a look at the wide range of seminars and lectures.
Programme structure: a tabular overview
|Required Subjects||Robotics Engineering Fundamentals||15.5||1-2|
|Computer Science and Software Development||22||1-5|
|Information and Communications Engineering||36||2-5|
|Bachelor’s Thesis and Seminar||10||6|
|Restricted Electives||Labs Robotics & AI||12||3-6|
|For the specialisation, choice of two subjects (12 ECTS credits each)
Introductory orientation period (STEOP)
The introductory orientation phase grants students an overview of the key elements of the degree programme and of the course of studies ahead. Thus, it provides a factual basis for the personal evaluation of the choice of degree programme.
The introductory orientation phase for the Bachelor’s degree programme in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence consists of the lecture courses “Introduction to study”, “Physics for Engineers: Kinematics, Dynamics and Thermodynamics” und “Introduction to Structured and Object-based Programming”, plus the associated exercises, accounting for 12.5 ECTS credits in total. Prior to completing the STEOP, additional courses worth up to 22 ECTS credits may be taken.
Recommended course of study
Important note regarding lecture courses scheduled on a cyclical basis: Although certain lecture courses are only offered once a year, the corresponding examinations can be taken year-round on specific dates.
|SUBJECT||ECTS||Course title||Course type|
|Robotics Engineering Fundamentals||0.5||Introduction to the study (StEOP course)||VC*|
|2||Physics for Engineers: Kinematics, Dynamics and Thermodynamics (StEOP course)||VO|
|4||Physics for Engineers: Kinematics, Dynamics and Thermodynamics (StEOP course)||KS*+|
|3||Introduction to Robotics||VO|
|Mathematics||7.5||Analysis 1 for Engineers||VO|
|3||Analysis 1 for Engineers||UE*+|
|Computer Science and Software Development||2||Introduction to Structured and Object-based Programming (StEOP course)||VO|
|4||Introduction to Structured and Object-based Programming (StEOP course)||UE*+|
|Artificial Intelligence||4||Responsible Robotics & AI: Ethics, Governance and Society||VC*+|
* compulsory attendance
+ Select only one of the groups
|SUBJECT||ECTS||Course title||Course type|
Robotics Engineering Fundamentals
|4||Physics for Engineers: Electricity and Magnetism||VO|
|2||Physics for Engineers: Electricity and Magnetism||KS*+|
|0||Tutorial Physics for Engineers: Electricity and Magnetism||TU|
|3||Linear Algebra for Engineers||VO|
|2||Linear Algebra for Engineers||UE*+|
|5||Analysis 2 for Engineers||VO|
|3||Analysis 2 for Engineers||UE*+|
|Computer Science and Software Development||2||Algorithms and Data Structures||VO|
|4||Algorithms and Data Structures||UE*+|
|Information and Communications Engineering||3||Design of Digital Circuits||VO|
|3||Design of Digital Circuits||KS*+|
|0||Tutorial Design of Digital Circuits||TU|
* compulsory attendance
+ Select only one of the groups
There are no limits to your personal development. Enjoy the freedom that only a university degree can offer you and expand your horizons beyond your academic studies. You can pick and choose which competences will set you apart in the future. We have lots to offer, for instance:
- Are you looking to set up your own business and launch an entrepreneurial venture? By acquiring the “Build! Entrepreneurship Certificate” you will gain the skills you need to turn your brilliant idea into a successful business! The nearby Lakeside Science & Technology Park also offers you the necessary facilities so you don’t need to sit in a garage while you are working on the app that will change the world and expand your wallet.
- Do you want to learn a new language and prepare for your career in the globalised IT industry? You can learn Russian, Spanish or Chinese (and many other languages besides) at the University of Klagenfurt.
Continue to browse through this overview of all the elective subjects.
Admission to the degree programme must take place before the end of the general admission period (winter semester: 5 September | summer semester: 5 February).
A late admission until 31 October (winter semester) or 31 March (summer semester) can only be granted in exceptional circumstances.
You do not have to go through a special admission procedure to start the Bachelor‘s degree in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence in Klagenfurt. Simply enrol and get stuck in!
You only have to meet the following conditions, which also apply to all other programmes:
- General university entrance qualification (e.g. Matura)
- English language skills at level B2 (CEFR)
evidence of English language proficiency of the required level at the time of application.Prospective students who apply for admission to a Bachelor’s degree programme taught in English must provide
- Here in Klagenfurt, you will get to know your fellow students during the Welcome Days – and you will make new friends in the very first week; friends you will share memorable experiences with in the years to come.
- You will never be a mere (matriculation) number here: Our courses have a limited number of participants and so our lecturers will soon get to know you. We encourage and challenge you, in every way you need!
- Your degree starts with the so-called “Introductory phase (STEOP)”. No matter which school you attended or which qualifications you bring with you to the university: We will get you to the level you need in order to study successfully in the semesters ahead. In addition, the technology preparation courses will help you to rapidly progress on the road to success in your studies!
- During the first semester, our students are coached in small groups by mentors, making it easier for you to get off to a good start.
First of all: Excellent job prospects lie in store for you. Qualified professionals like you are highly sought after everywhere. The robotics and AI industry is experiencing unparalleled growth. Headhunters working for major companies will approach you via our numerous career projects and present you with offers even while you are still a student. After completing your studies, you can work in the following fields, among others:
- As a developer and project manager: You will learn to independently define, plan, implement, manage and evaluate projects.
- In countless fields of application: You can work wherever smart robots are used, such as collaborating lightweight robots in the manufacturing industry, medical robots that diagnose or perform surgery, drones for agriculture and space travel, and much more besides.
The Bachelor’s degree programme Robotics & Artificial Intelligence is in tune with the times. The content is highly relevant for both research and industry. The possibilities after this study are limitless, as there are already countless applications in these fields and their number will grow even more in the future. Furthermore, the student-supervisor relationships in Klagenfurt are exceptional and, students benefit from small course groups and from early involvement in current research.
The University of Klagenfurt offers a wide range of topics in robotics, including research into new types of sensors, communication methods, the control of robots and my own field – the state estimation of robot platforms. Additionally, there are some excellent areas, such as the drone hall, where you can test the theory you have developed in a practical setting.
The international race for the most intelligent robots has already started. The industry is global like no other: Whether you want to work on taxi drones in Dubai or Singapore after graduation or on the development of new industrial robots in Silicon Valley, the world is yours to explore. Complete a semester abroad during your studies and spend it at one of the university’s 250 or so partner universities. You won’t need to worry about your finances – we have plenty of scholarships on offer.
Can I start my studies even if I don’t have any prior knowledge? How can I prepare for my degree programme?
What is most important when starting your studies is that you have an interest in and a curiosity about the field of study and the subject area. No prior knowledge is required. If you are still unsure, simply attend one of our technology preparation courses. Here, you can refresh your knowledge of computer science and mathematics along with other first-year students. The course is free of charge and will be credited as part of your studies.
Will my English skills be sufficient?
Your Austrian or German school-leaving certificate (Matura) including English is sufficient to start your studies. If you are a student with a school-leaving certificate from another country, you have to prove that you can communicate in English at level B2.
How can I prove English language proficiency?
A list of the accepted language qualifications is available in the Regulation issued by the Rectorate concerning proof of required language proficiency for admission to study programmes.
Is the degree programme in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence the right one for me?
If you’re interested in hardware and software, you’ve come to the right place. Are you interested in helping to shape the world of smart robots? Then this is the perfect degree programme for you!
Is there an entrance exam for Robotics and Artificial Intelligence at the University of Klagenfurt?
There is no entrance exam. Anyone who is interested and has obtained the university entrance qualification (e.g. Matura, Abitur) can take this degree here in Klagenfurt.
How do I start my academic studies at the University of Klagenfurt?
Our check list will help you to get started. We have compiled everything you need to know here – from registering online right up to enrolling for a degree programme.
Once you have completed the Bachelor’s degree programme in Robotics and Artificial Intelligence you can continue straight on to the following successor programmes:
University of Klagenfurt