Univ.-Prof. Dr. Heather ForanFunktion: Institutsabteilungsleiterin
E-Mail: heather [dot] foran [at] aau [dot] at
Zuordnung: Abteilung für Gesundheitspsychologie
Telefon: +43 463 2700 1641
Raum: N.2.28 Hauptgebäude, Nordtrakt Mitte, Ebene 2
Heather Foran has expertise in data analyses, psychological assessment, and conducting large scale epidemiological studies and clinical trials. Her work takes a public health perspective and she has conducted numerous international studies addressing intimate partner violence and child maltreatment. Her work was influential in changing the definitions for family problems and violence in the DSM-5 and ICD-11. She is also known for her contributions to socioecological models of intimate partner violence, substance use, and child maltreatment. Most recently, she has co-led the largest randomized trial of the Parenting for Lifelong Health Program to prevent child maltreatment in three eastern European countries and has developed a behavioral health digital intervention. She has received several grants and contracts (e.g., through the German Research Foundation, EU Horizon 2020) and has published approximately one-hundred articles, books and book chapters.
- Habilitation in Psychology, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany (2013)
- Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Stony Brook University, NY, USA (2009)
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, U.S., New York (since 2010)
- Licensed Psychological Psychotherapist, Germany (since 2015)
- APA-Accredited Clinical Internship, VAMC, Northport, NY, USA (2008-2009)
Recent Positions and Selected Administrative Roles
Chair of Health Psychology Unit
Chair of Institutional Review Board for Human Subjects Research (since 2019)
- Chair of University-Wide Public Health Research Cluster (since 2016)
- Chair of Health, Sustainability Communication & Management Doctoral Program (since 2020)
Selected Research Activities & Roles
- Senior Associate Editor, Epidemiology & Psychiatric Sciences
- Associate Editor, Journal of Family Psychology (2016-2021)
- Co-Lead of Project, Executive Board, RISE, European Commission Funded Project (2018-2022)
- ICD-11 Relational process and maltreatment revisions in collaboration with the WHO (since 2009)
- Burns, S.C. Kogan, C.S., Heyman, R.E., Foran, H.M., Slep, A.M., Dominquez-Martinez, T., Grenier, J., Matsumoto, C., & Reed, G.M. (2022). Exploring mental health professionals’ experiences of intimate partner violence –related training: Results from a global survey. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 37 1-27.
- Piolanti, A., & Foran, H. M. (2021). Efficacy of interventions to prevent physical and sexual dating violence among adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Pediatrics, E1-E8. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2021.482
- Burns, S.C. Kogan, C.S., Heyman, R.E., Foran, H.M., Smith Slep, A.M., Dominquez-Martinez, T., Grenier, J., Matsumoto, C., & Reed, G.M. (2021). Evaluating the relationship between intimate partner violence-related training and mental health professionals’ assessment of relationship problems. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 1-27. https://doi.org/10.1177/08862605211005154
Jansen, E., Frantz, I., Hutchings, J., Lachman, J., Williams, M., Taut, D., Baban, A., Raleva, M., Lesco, G., Ward., C., Gardner, F., Fang, X., Heinrichs, N., & Foran, H. M. (2021). Preventing child mental health problems in southeastern Europe: Feasibility Study (Phase 1 of the MOST framework). Family Process, doi.org/10.1111/famp.12720
Heyman, R. E., Kogan, C. S., Foran, H. M., Burns. S. C., Slep, A. M. S., Wojda, A., K., Keeley, J. W., Rebello, T. J., & Reed, G. M. (2018). A case-controlled field study evaluating ICD-11 proposals for relational problems and intimate partner violence. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology, 18, 113-123. doi.org/10.1016/j.ijchp.2018.03.001
Foran, H. M., Whisman, M. A., & Beach, S. R. H. (2015). Intimate partner relationship distress in the DSM-5. Family Process (Special Issue), 54, 48-63. doi: 10.1111/famp.12122
Foran, H. M., Hahlweg, K., Kliem, S., & O'Leary, K. D. (2013). Longitudinal patterns of relationship adjustment among German parents. Journal of Family Psychology, 27, 838-843. doi: 10.1037/a0034183.
Foran, H. M., Beach, S. R. H., Slep, A. M. S., Heyman, R. E., & Wamboldt, M. Z., Kaslow, N., & Reiss, D., Eds. (2013). Family violence and family problems: Reliable assessment and the ICD-11. New York: Springer Publishing. eBook ISBN: 9780826109118.
Foran, H. M., Heyman, R. E., Slep, A. M. S., & US Air Force Family Advocacy Program (2011). Hazardous drinking and military community functioning – Identifying mediating risk factors. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79, 521-532. doi.org/10.1037/a0024110
Foran, H. M., Slep, A. M. S., & Heyman, R. E. (2011). Prevalences of intimate partner violence in a representative U.S. Air Force sample. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79, 391-397. doi:10/1037/a0022962
- Cano, A., Gillis, M., Geisser, M., Heinz, W. & Foran, H. M. (2004). Marital functioning and psychological distress in chronic pain patients. Pain, 107, 99-106.
- Geisser, M., Cano, A., Foran, H. M. (2006). Psychometric properties of the mood and anxiety symptom questionnaire in chronic pain patients. Clinical Journal of Pain, 22, 1-9.
- Foran, H. M. & Phelps, R. (2013). Psychological, physical, and economic impacts of intimate partner violence. In H. M. Foran, S. R. H. Beach, A. M. S. Slep, R. E. Heyman, M. Z. Wamboldt, N. Kaslow, & D. Reiss (Eds.), Family violence and family problems: Reliable assessment and the ICD-11. New York: Springer Publishing.
- Kliem, S., Foran, H. M., & Hahlweg, K. (2014). Familienstatus, mütterliche Belastung, dysfunktionales Erziehungsverhalten und kindliche Auffälligkeiten: Ergebnisse einer multiplen Mediatorenanalyse. [Family status, maternal stress, dysfunctional parenting behavior and infant abnormalities]. Kindheit und Entwicklung, 23, 113 -123.
- Foran, H. M., Heyman, R. E., Slep, A. M. S., & U.S. Air Force Family Advocacy Program. (2014). Emotional intimate partner violence and its unique ecological correlates. Psychology of Violence, 4, 128-142.
Heyman, R. E., Slep, A. M. S., & Foran, H. M. (2015). Enhanced definitions of intimate partner violence for DSM-5 and ICD-11 may promote improved screening and treatment. Family Process (Special Issue), 54, 17-32.
Slep, A. M. S., Heyman, R. E., & Foran, H. M. (2015). Child maltreatment: Definitions of relational processes in DSM-V and ICD-11. Family Process (Special Issue), 54, 17-32.
- Cohen, S., O’Leary, K. D., & Foran, H. M. (2010) A randomized clinical trial of a brief, problem-focused couple therapy for depression. Behavior Therapy, 41, 433 - 446. doi: 10.1016/j.beth.2009.111.004.
- Slep, A. M. S., Foran, H. M., Heyman, R. E, & Snarr, J. D. (2010). Unique risk and protective factors for partner aggression in a large scale Air Force survey. Journal of Community Health, 35, 375 - 383. doi: 10.1007.s10900-010-9264-3.
Foran, H. M., O’Leary, K.D., & Williams, M. C. (2012). Emotional abilities in couples: A construct validation study. American Journal of Family Therapy, 40, 189-207.
Foran, H. M., Adler, A. B., McGurk, D., & Bliese, P. (2012). Soldiers’ perceptions of resilience training and post-deployment adjustment: The importance of both resilience training content and training process. Psychological Services, 9, 390-403. doi: 10.1037/a0028178.
Wood, M. D., Foran, H. M., Britt, T. W., & Wright, K. M. (2012). The impact of benefit finding and leadership on combat-related PTSD symptoms. Military Psychology, 24, 6, 529-541. doi: 10.1080/08995605.2012.736321
Foran, H. M., Heyman, R. E., Slep, A. M. S., Snarr, J. D., & U.S. Air Force Family Advocacy Program. (2012). Hazardous alcohol use and intimate partner violence in the military: Understanding protective factors. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 26, 471-483. doi: 10.1037/a0027688
Foran, H. M., Vivian, D., O’Leary, K.D., Rothbaum, B. O., Manber, R., Keller, M. B., Kocsis, J. H., Thase, M. E., Trivedi, M. H., & Klein, D. N. (2012). Risk for partner victimization and marital dissatisfaction among chronically depressed patients. Journal of Family Violence, 27, 75-81. doi: 10.1007/s10896-011-9404-2.
Wright, K. M., Foran, H. M., Wood, M. D., Eckford, R. K., & McGurk, D. (2012). Alcohol problems, aggression, and other externalizing behaviors after return from deployment: Understanding the impact of combat exposure, internalizing symptoms, and social environment. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 1 -19, doi: 10.1002/jclp.21864. (IF = 2.116)
Sipos, M., Foran, H. M., Crane, M., Wood, M. & Wright, K., & (2012). Post-deployment behavioral health screening: Face-to-face versus virtual behavioral health interviews. Military Medicine, 177, 525-530.
Foran, H. M., Heyman, R. E., Slep, A. M. S., & US Air Force Family Advocacy Program (2011). Hazardous drinking and military community functioning – Identifying mediating risk factors. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79, 521-532.
Foran, H. M., Slep, A. M. S., & Heyman, R. E. (2011). Hazardous alcohol use among active duty Air Force personnel: Identifying unique risk and promotive factors. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 25, 28-40. doi: 10.1037/a0020748.
Foran, H. M., Slep, A. M. S., & Heyman, R. E. (2011). Prevalences of intimate partner violence in a representative U.S. Air Force sample. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79, 391-397.
Langhinrichsen-Rohling, J., Snarr, J. D., Slep, A. M. S., Heyman, R. E., & Foran, H. M. (2011). Risk for suicidal ideation in the U.S. Air Force: an ecological perspective. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 79, 600-612.
Slep, A. M. S., Foran, H. M., Heyman, R. E., Snarr, J. D., & U.S. Air Force Family Advocacy Program (2011). Risk factors for clinically significant intimate partner violence among active duty members. Journal of Marriage and Family, 73, 486-501.
|Recent Positions and Selected Administrative Roles|
|Selected Research Activities & Roles|