We have different openings for Master thesis projects, for example in the area of information management and recommender systems. Contact me by email in case you are interested.
I joined the Department of Artificial Intelligence and Cybersecurity at AAU Klagenfurt as a full professor in 2017. Before that, from 2008 to 2017, I was a full professor of Computer Science at TU Dortmund, Germany.
Appointed a Professor II at University of Bergen, Norway, in March 2021.
My main research theme is related to the application of intelligent system technology to practical problems and the development of methods for building knowledge-intensive software applications.
Generally, my research interest is broad and I have been working on a number of topics over the years, including recommender systems technology, knowledge-based systems development, constraint-based systems, semantic web applications and web mining, special topics in operations research and applications of AI planning as well as on specific software engineering problems in the area of the development and debugging of declarative programs.
Among others, my research has been published in IEEE TKDE, Artificial Intelligence, JAIR, UMUAI, ACM TOIS, ACM TKDD, ACM TIST, ACM TiiS, ACM TMIS, Journal of Web Semantics, Journal of Human Computer Studies, Journal of Systems and Software, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Journal of Retailing, Annals of Operations Research, and in the proceedings of IJCAI, AAAI, RecSys, ICDM, CIKM, WSDM or ISWC.
Between 2003 and 2008, I was a co-founder, technical director and later managing director of a startup company that created an award-winning software tool for the development of interactive sales applications.
I received the Advancement Award by the Province of Carinthia (Förderungspreis des Landes Kärnten) in the area of Technical Sciences in 2006.
In 2018, I was recognized as an Outstanding Reviewer for Springer’s Journal of Information Technology and Tourism, and of the IJCAI-ECAI ’18, ICWSM ’18 and ACM Hypertext ’18 conferences. In 2019, I was a Distinguished Senior PC member for IJCAI ’19, and I received a Best Reviewer Award at ACM UMAP 2021.
I received awards for the best annual paper published in the UMUAI journal in 2015 and in 2020, an ACM Distinguished Paper Award at ICSE 2018, and the ACM Best Full Paper Award at ACM RecSys 2019. In 2021, our research-in-progress paper received the Best Paper Award at the PACIS conference.
Boards & Reviews
- Editor-in-Chief ACM Transactions on Recommender Systems (ACM)
- Editorial board member of User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction (Springer)
- Editorial board member of Journal of Applied Intelligence (Springer, until 2021)
- Editorial board member of Journal of Information Technology & Tourism (Springer)
- Review board member of International Journal of Electronic Commerce (M. E. Sharpe)
Journal Review Activity
- Management Information Systems Quarterly,
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (Springer),
- Artificial Intelligence (Elsevier),
- Pattern Recognition (Elsevier),
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data,
- IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering,
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia,
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems,
- International Journal of Human Computer Studies (Springer),
- Journal of Data & Knowledge Engineering (Elsevier),
- ACM Transactions on Information Systems,
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research,
- Journal of Information Systems Research,
- Journal of Management Information Systems,
- European Journal of Information Systems,
- Information and Management (Springer),
- ACM Computing Surveys,
- IEEE Intelligent Systems,
- Journal of Machine Learning Research,
- Computer Science Review,
- Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services,
- Automated Software Engineering (Springer),
- Electronic Commerce Research and Applications (Elsevier),
- Information Processing and Management (Elsevier),
- Knowledge and Information Systems,
- Annals of Tourism Research (Elsevier),
- ACM Transactions on the Web,
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology,
- ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems,
- ACM Transactions on Computing for Healthcare,
- IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems,
- Information Processing Letters (Elsevier),
- Machine Learning (Springer),
- Knowledge-Based Systems (Elsevier),
- Journal of Intelligent Information Systems (Springer),
- Information Systems (Elsevier),
- Information and Software Technology (Elsevier),
- Information Sciences (Elsevier),
- Electronic Markets (Springer),
- Software and Systems Modeling (Springer),
- Advanced Engineering Informatics (Elsevier),
- Journal of Computational Science (Elsevier),
- Future Generation Computer Systems (Elsevier),
- Journal of Computers and Operations Research (Elsevier),
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics,
- Expert Systems with Applications (Elsevier),
- Empirical Software Engineering (Springer),
- Journal of Heuristics (Springer),
- Big Data Research (Elsevier),
- PLOS ONE,
- Journal of Web Engineering,
- Personal and Ubiquituous Computing,
- Information Technology and People,
- IEEE Access,
- Journal of Software: Evolution and Process,
- Journal of Mathematical Modelling and Algorithms (Springer),
- Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence (Elsevier),
- AI Communications (IOS Press),
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication (Elsevier),
- Intl. Journal of Mass Customization,
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (Wiley),
- Journal of Information Science,
- Journal of Data Semantics (Springer),
- SoftareX (Elsevier).
- Journal of New Generation Computing (Springer),
- Science of Computer Programming (Elsevier),
- IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering,
- Artificial Intelligence in Engineering, Design, and Manufacturing (Cambridge University Press),
- Behaviour & Information Technology,
- Frontiers of Computer Science,
- Künstliche Intelligenz (Springer),
- International Journal of Production Research (Taylor and Francis),
- Intl. Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools,
- Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing (Springer),
- Computers & Industrial Engineering (Elsevier),
- Fundamenta Informaticae (IOS Press),
- Computer Standards and Interfaces (Elsevier),
- Computing (Springer),
- International Journal of Semantic Web and Information Systems,
- International Journal of Information Technology and Decision Making,
- Journal of Business Analytics, (Taylor and Francis),
- Signal Processing: Image Communication (Elsevier),
- i-com (de Gruyter)
- (Senior) PC member of IUI 2019-2022
- PC member of the 2013, 2014, 2018 to 2022 ACM SAC Track on Recommender Systems
- Area Chair for IJCAI 2021
- Senior PC member of ISMIR 2021
- PC member CIKM 2020, 2021
- Area Chair for ECAI 2020
- IJCAI-ECAI 2018, Senior PC member of IJCAI 2019 (Distinguished Senior PC Member), Senior PC member of IJCAI-PRICAI 2020
- (Senior) PC member of WWW, The WebConf (2014-2021)
- (Senior) PC member of the ACM Recommender Systems conference (2007-2021), member of the steering committee (since 2011)
- (Senior) PC member of UMAP 2010-2021 (User Modeling, Personalization and Adaptation)
- PC member of AAAI 2019-2021
- PC member of IEA/AIE 2019
- PC member KDD 2016, 2018, 2019
- Associate Editor/SPC for ICWSM 2019
- PC member of the 8th Intl. AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media ICWSM 2014, 2017, 2018
- PC member CBI 2019
- PC member of ACM Hypertext 2017, 2018
- Reviewer for CHI 2017, 2020
- PC member of KI 2017
- PC member FLAIRS 2017, 2018
- PC member WSDM 2016
- PC member IJCAI 2003, 2016
- PC member ECAI/PAIS 2014, 2016
- PC member ENTER 2016-2021
- the 2009 to 2016 International Conference on Electronic Commerce and Web Technologies (EC-Web)
- PC member of the IEEE Conference on Business Informatics 2013-2015
- PC member of WEBIST’14
- PC Member WI/IAT 2004, 2008, 2012-2014
- SOFSEM 2012
- the 2010 Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC)
- the 2009 International Conference on Knowledge-Based and Intelligent Information & Engineering Systems (KES’2009)
- the 2009 International MCETECH Conference on e-Technologies
- 2007 Intl. Conference on Knowledge Management Conference
- European Conference on AI (ECAI’02)
- Intl. Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming (CP’2001)
- Intl. Conference on eXtreme Programming and Agile Processes in Software Engineering (XP’03)
Reviewer for various other books, conferences and workshops such as the
- SIGIR 2022 Workshops
- IUI 2022 APEx-UI Workshop
- SIGIR 2021 Workshop on eCommerce
- IntRS, KaRS, MORS, ORSUM, RecTour, Perspectives, and the RecSys Challenge workshops at ACM RecSys ’21
- the SIGIR 2021 workshop selection committee
- IntRS, ComplexRec, CARS, and the RecSys Challenge workshops at ACM RecSys ’20
- DECOR (Data Engineering meets food and COoking Recipes) Workshop, 2020
- Explainable User Models and Personalised Systems (ExUM at UMAP 2020 and UMAP 2021)
- Workshop on Educational Recommender Systems (EdRecSys@LAK2020)
- IntRS, RecTour, CARS, RMSE and the RecSys Challenge workshops at ACM RecSys ’19
- 1st Interdisciplinary Workshop on Algorithm Selection and Meta-Learning in Information Retrieval (AMIR) at ECIR ’19
- SIGIR eCom Workshop at SIGIR ’19
- Workshop on Intelligent Music Interfaces for Listening and Creation at IUI 2019
- Workshop on News Recommendation and Analytics (INRA 2018) at CIKM 2018
- Workshop on Multi-Method Evaluation of Personalized Systems at ACM RecSys 2018
- Workshop on Fairness in User Modeling, Adapatation and Personalization at ACM UMAP 2018
- Workshop on on Multi-Method Evaluation of Personalized Systems at ACM UMAP 2018
- Workshop on the Principles of Diagnosis DX’14 and DX’17
- ACM RecSys Workshop on Recommenders in Tourism (RecTour 2016, 2017, 2018),
- Joint Workshop on Interfaces and Human Decision Making for Recommender Systems (IntRS 2014-2018) at ACM RecSys
- Recommender Systems Challenge of ACM RecSys 2015, 2018
- International Workshop on Intelligent and Personalized Human-Computer Interaction (ABIS 2015, 2016, 2018),
- ACM RecSys 2017 workshop on Workshop on Temporal Reasoning in Recommender Systems
- 2nd International Workshop on Personalization and Recommender Systems in Financial Services, Bari (Italy), 2016
- ICDM 2015 and SIGIR 2014 Workshops on Social Media Retrieval and Analysis (SoMeRA 2014/2015),
- the Workshops on Social Recommender Systems (SRS 2013, SRS 2014, SRS 2015) at WWW 2013/2014/KDD2015,
- ACM RecSys 2014 Workshop on Recommender Systems Evaluation: Dimensions and Design (REDD 2014)
- the Linked Open Data-enabled Recommender Systems Challenge at EWSC 2014,
- the ACM RecSys 2013 workshops on Human Decision Making and on Reproducibility and Replication in Recommender Systems Evaluation,
- the ACM RecSys 2012 workshops on Human Decision Making in RS, Recommendation Utility Evaluation, the RecSys Data Challenge, and the Doctoral Consortium,
- the 20th International Symposium on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems (ISMIS 2012),
- the SASWEB 2011 and 2012 International Workshops on Semantic Adaptive Social Web at UMAP,
- the IUI 2011 AND IUI 2012 Workshop on Context-aware Retrieval and Recommendation (CaRR),
- the ICEIS 2011 to 2013 Workshop on Information Value Management,
- the ICML 2012 Workshop on on Learning from User-generated Content,
- the Decisions and CAMRa Workshops at ACM RecSys 2011,
- the 2011 to 2013 DEXA workshop on Recommender Systems meet Databases,
- the CAiSE 2011 and 2012 Ontose workshops,
- the ISWC 2011 Workshop on Semantic Personalized Information Management,
- the ECAI’10 Workshop on Intelligent Engineering Techniques for Knowledge Bases,
- the Workshop on Recommender Systems and Personalized Retrieval (RSPR 2008),
- Workshop on CSP Techniques with Immediate Application at CP’04
- Organizing committee, Programme committee member or reviewer for Intl. Workshop on Configuration CWS 2020 (Graz), CWS 2019 (Hamburg), 2018 (Graz) CWS 2017 (Paris), the workshop at CP 2016 (Toulouse), CWS 2015 (Vienna), CWS 2014 (Novi Sad), CWS 2013 (Vienna) and at ECAI’2000, IJCAI’2001, ECAI’2002, IJCAI’2003, ECAI’2004; IJCAI’05, ECAI’06, AAAI’07, ECAI’2008, ECAI’2010, IJCAI’2011, PC-member of Recommender Workshops at ECAI’08 and ECAI’06
- Mentor and/or reviewer for various doctoral consortium events at ACM RecSys and ACM UMAP.
- Member of various best paper selection committees.
Co-organisation of scientific events and guest-editorships
- Tutorial on Conversational Recommender Systems at IJCAI 2022 (slides)
- Track chair for ACM UMAP 2022 (website)
- Tutorial on Conversational Recommender Systems at IJCAI 2021 (slides)
- Workshop Chair of ACM UMAP 2021
- 2nd Workshop on the Impact of Recommender Systems at ACM RecSys 2020 (website)
- The 2020 SIGIR Workshop on eCommerce 2020 (website)
- 1st Workshop on the Impact of Recommender Systems at ACM RecSys 2019 (website) (proceedings)
- Tutorial on Sequence-Aware Recommender Systems at TheWebConf (WWW) 2019 (slides)
- (Co-)Guest editor of a Special issue on Content-based Recommender Systems for UMUAI (Springer), 2019.
- Program Chair of ACM UMAP 2019, Cyprus, Website
- Tutorial on Sequence-Aware Recommender Systems at ACM UMAP 2018
- Track Chair of ACM UMAP 2018, Singapore, 2018 Website
- Track Chair of CBI 2018, Vienna, 2018, Website
- Tutorial on Interacting with Recommender Systems at IUI 2017, Limassol, Cyprus, 2017 Website
- Workshop Chair of ACM RecSys 2016, Boston, USA, 2016
- (Co-)Guest editor of the Special issue on Recommender Systems of the Journal of Data Semantics (Springer), 2015.
- Program chair of the 16th Intl. Conference on Electronic Commerce and Web Technologies (EC-Web 2015), Valencia, Spain, 2015
- Co-Chair of the IJCAI 2015 Joint Workshop on Constraints and Preferences for Configuration and Recommendation and Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization (CPCR+ITWP) , Buenos Aires, 2015
- Co-chair of the Doctoral Symposium of ACM RecSys 2015, Vienna, Austria, 2015
- Co-Chair of the ACM RecSys Workshop on Recommender Systems and the Social Web, Foster City, CA, 2014
- Co-chair of a Dagstuhl seminar on Unifying Product and Software Configuration, Dagstuhl castle, Germany, April 2014.
- Tutorial on Recommender Systems at IJCAI’2013, Beijing, China, 2013 (slides pptx) (slides pdf)
- Co-Chair of the 5th ACM RecSys Workshop on Recommender Systems and the Social Web, Hong Kong, 2013
- Tutorial chair of the 7th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, Hongkong, 2013
- Co-Chair of the AAAI 2013 Workshop on Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization & Recommender Systems, Bellevue, Washington, 2013
- Co-Chair of the ACM RecSys Workshop on Recommender Systems and the Social Web, Dublin, Ireland, 2012
- Co-Chair of the AAAI 2012 Workshop on Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization & Recommender Systems, Toronto, Canada, 2012
- Tutorial on the Evaluation of Recommender Systems 2012 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Riva del Garda (Trento), Italy 2012 (slides)
- Co-Editor of the UMUAI special issue on Context-aware Recommender Systems, 2013.
- Program chair of the Fifth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, Chicago, 2011
- Tutorial on Recommender Systems at IJCAI’2011, Barcelona, Spain, 2011 Slides (zipped pptx) Slides (pdf)
- Tutorial on Recommender Systems at ACM Hypertext, Eindhoven, Netherlands, 2011
- Co-Chair of the IJCAI 2011 Workshop on Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization & Recommender Systems, Barcelona, Spain, 2011
- Co-Chair of the IJCAI 2011 Workshop on Configuration, Barcelona, Spain, 2011
- Co-chair of the UMAP 2010 Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization & Recommender Systems, Big Island, Hawaii, USA, 2010
- Tutorial on Recommender Systems 2010 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, Sierre, Switzerland, 2010
- Worskhop chair of the 2010 ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, Barcelona, Spain, 2010
- Co-Chair of the ACM RecSys’09 Workshop on Recommender Systems and the Social Web , New York, USA, 2009
- Co-Chair of the IJCAI’09 Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization & Recommender Systems, Pasadena, USA, 2009
- (Co-)Guest editor of the Special issue on Measuring the Impact of Personalization and Recommendation on User Behaviour in IJ on Human Computer Studies, CFP issued 2008.
- (Co-)Guest editor of the Special issue on Recommender Systems in the AI Communications journal, 2008.
- Co-organizer of the AAAI’08 Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization & Recommender Systems, Chicago, 2008
- Chair and organizer of the AAAI’07 Workshop on Recommender Systems in e-Commerce, Vancouver, Canada, 2007
- Guest-Editor “OEGAI Journal”, Special Issue on Recommender Systems, 2006
- Chair and organizer IJCAI’05 Workshop on Configuration, Edinburgh, 2005
Conference presentations and participation
- Presentation at the European Summer School on IR (ESSIR) 2022 (Lisbon), 2022 (slides)
- Keynote at the Quare workshop at SIGIR 2022 (Madrid/online), 2022 (slides)
- Keynote at the NeuRec workshop at ICML 2021 (online), 2021 (slides)
- ML seminar talk on recommender systems at Twitter (online), 2021
- Talk at Workshop “Online banking with a Netflix twist”, Bergen, Norway (online), 2020 (slides)
- Paper presentation at ACM RecSys Challenge Workshop, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (online), 2020 (slides)
- Keynote at the 18th Dutch-Belgian Information Retrieval Workshop, Amsterdam, 2019 (slides)
- Opening talk at the ACM Latin American School on Recommender Systems, Fortaleza, 2019 (slides)
- Keynote presentation at the ACM RecSys 2019 Workshop on Context-Aware Recommender Systems, Copenhagen, 2019
- Opening talk at the ACM Summer School on Recommender Systems, Gothenburg, 2019 (slides)
- Workshop on Conversational Search and Recommendation, London, 2019
- Keynote talk at 32nd IEA/AIE conference, Graz, 2019 (slides)
- Invited Talk at the Austrian Computer Science Days, Vienna, 2019
- Keynote talk at the Workshop on Recommenders in Tourism at ACM RecSys 2018, Vancouver, Canada, 2018
- Keynote talk at the 41st German Conference on Artificial Intelligence (KI 2018), (Slides) Berlin, Germany, 2018
- Keynote talk at 9th Italian Information Retrieval Workshop (IIR 2018), (Slides), Rome, Italy, 2018
- Invited talk at Intl. Workshop on Analytics in Tourism Design (Slides), Vienna, Austria, 2017
- Keynote talks at the IntRS workshop and the ComplexRec workshop (Slides) at ACM RecSys 2017. Paper presentation at the VAMS workshop at ACM RecSys 2017, Como, Italy, 2017.
- Keynote talk at ACM SIGCHI Summer School on Recommender Systems, (Slides), Bozen-Bolzano, Italy, 2017
- Invited presentation at the Workshop on Parallel Constraint Reasoning at CADE ’17, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2017 (Slides)
- Invited talk on session-aware recommender systems at the ISF International Workshop on User Modeling and Recommender Systems, Haifa, Israel, 2017 (Slides)
- Tutorial on Interacting with Recommender Systems at IUI 2017, Limassol, Cyprus
- Paper presentation at ACM RecSys 2016, Boston, 2016
- Invited talk at Preference Learning Stream of European Conference on Operational Research, Poznan, Poland, 2016
- Presentation at workshop on “Big Data and Business Intelligence in the Travel and Tourism Domain”, Östersund, Sweden, 2016
- ACM RecSys 2015, Vienna, Austria, 2015
- Paper presentation at the 2014 ACM RecSys RSWeb workshop, Foster City, CA, 2014
- 25th Workshop on the Principles of Diagnosis, DX 2014, Graz, Austria
- EuSpRIG Spreadsheet Risk Conference and 1st Workshop on Software Engineering Methods in Spreadsheets, Delft, 2014
- ACM RecSys 2013, Hong Kong
- Paper presentation at the 2013 Configuration Workshop, Vienna, 2013
- IJCAI 2013, Beijing, China, 2013
- ITWP workshop at AAAI 2013 (Chairing and paper presentations), Bellevue, Washington, 2013
- Session chair and paper presentation at ENASE 2013, Angers, France
- Paper presentation at UMAP 2013, Rome
- ACM RecSys 2012, Dublin, Ireland
- AAAI 2012 ITWP Workshop, Toronto, Canada, 2012.
- EuSprig 2012, Manchester, UK, 2012.
- Invited presentation at ENTER 2012, Helsingborg, Sweden, 2012.
- Fifth ACM Recommender Systems Conference, Chicago, 2011.
- Co-chairing the ITWP and Configuration workshops and giving a tutorial on Recommender Systems at IJCAI 2011, Barcelona, 2011.
- Session chair at ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, Barcelona, 2010.
- Joint Conference on Knowledge-based Software Engineering in Kaunas, Lithuania, 2010.
- Two paper presentations and co-chair of the Workshop on Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization and Recommender Systems at UMAP 2010; session chair at UMAP 2010, Big Island, Hawaii, 2010.
- Poster presentation at ACM RecSys’09; co-chairing the ACM RecSys’09 Workshop on Recommender Systems and the Social Web, New York, NY, 2009
- Paper presentation and co-chair at the Workshop on Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization and Recommender Systems at IJCAI’09, Pasadena, 2009.
- Co-chairing the Workshop on Intelligent Techniques for Web Personalization at AAAI’08, Chicago, 2008.
- Talk at Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, San Francisco, 2008.
- Participation in Dagstuhl Seminar on the Evolution of Conceptual Modeling, Dagstuhl castle, 2008.
- Session chair and talk at ICE-B: International Conference on E-Business, Barcelona, Spain, August, 2007.
- Chairing the Workshop on Recommender Systems at AAAI’07, Vancouver, 2007.
- Two talks on “IEEE Conference on Intelligent Systems”, London, September 2006.
- Session chair and talk at ICE-B: International Conference on E-Business, Setubal, Portugal, August, 2006.
- Two presentations on “IEA/AIE 2006”, Annecy, France, June 2006.
- Talk at 29th German Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Bremen, Germany, 2006.
- Session chair and talk at IEEE Conference on e-Technology, e-Commerce, and e-Service, Hongkong, 2005.
- Workshop-talk at “European Semantic Web Conference”, Crete, 2005.
- European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Valencia, Spain, 2004.
- Web Information Systems Engineering Conference, Brisbane, Australia, 2004.
- Intl. Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Banff, Canada, 2004.
- Intl. Conference on Web Engineering, Munich, 2004.
- Intl. Conference on Industrial & Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems, Ottawa, Canada, 2004.
- Workshop on Configuration at Intl. Joint Conference on AI, Acapulco, Mexico, 2003.
- European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Lyon, France, 2002.
- Artificial Intelligence Applications, Innsbruck, 2002.
- Artificial Intelligence in Design, Cambridge, UK, 2002.
- Workshop on Configuration at IJCAI’01, Seattle, 2001.
- Web Intelligence Conference, Maebashi, Japan, 2001.
- Annual German Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Vienna, 2001.
- Workshop “Planen und Konfigurieren”, Vienna, 2001.
- Intl. Conference on Industrial & Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems, Budapest, Hungary, 2001.
- Intl. Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Chicago, USA, 2000.
- Talk at “Configuration Workshop”, European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Berlin, 2000.
- World Manufacturing Congress, Durham, UK, 1999.
- Workshop “Planen und Konfigurieren”, Würzburg, 1999.
- Intl. Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Planning Systems AIPS’98, Pittsburgh, 1998.
Other talks & presentations
- Invited talk at 21st IRIXYS research workshop, Passau, Germany, 2018
- Invited talk at Department of Information Science and Media Studies, University of Bergen, Norway, 2018
- Invited talk on recommender systems at Trinity College Dublin, Ireland, February 2018.
- Talk on configuration systems engineering at Laboratoire d’informatique de Paris 6, France, April 2015.
- Talk on recommender systems at UFRGS Institute of Informatics, Porto Alegre, Brazil, March 2015.
- Invited presentation on recommender systems at the Dagstuhl seminar on Preference Learning, Dagstuhl Castle, April, 2014.
- Invited talk and research visit at Universidad Adolfo Ibanez, Santiago, Chile, December 2013.
- Invited guest lecture talk on spreadsheet debugging and research visit at TU Graz, Austria, October 2012.
- Talk on recommender systems at University of Bonn, Germany, September 2012.
- Colloquium talk on personalized information services at RWTH Aachen, Germany, October 2011.
- Talk on recommender systsems and sales advisory systems at the Free University of Bozen/Bolzano, Italy, December 2010.
- Presentations on recommender systems technology for industrial audience, Dortmund, December 2009 and May 2010.
- Talk on recent developments in recommender systems at University of Passau, Germany, April 2009
- Presentation at SAP Research Labs, Karlsruhe, 2008
- Talk on new approaches for building intelligent software applications, Technical University Graz, Austria, Fall, 2007.
- Talk on recommender systems in e-Tourism, University Innsbruck, Austria, 2007.
- Talk on intelligent electronic services, University Dortmund, Germany, Fall, 2006.
- Invited talk on business process improvement and IT (case study) on “Mass-customization in practice”, Klagenfurt, 2006.
- Talk on knowledge-based product configuration on International Mass Customization Meeting, Klagenfurt, 2005.
- Talk on recommender system technology on workshop on “New results in planning, scheduling, and configuration, Ulm, Germany, 2004.
- Various presentations and talks on “Interactive Sales Advisory” for ConfigWorks GmbH (2003-2008)
- Professor II at University of Bergen, Norway, since March 2021
- From January 2020 on, deputy head of the Department of AI and Cybersecurity at University of Klagenfurt
- From 2021 on, member of the curriculum committee “Liberal Arts” at University of Klagenfurt.
- From November 2017 on, chair of the curriculum committee “Information Management” at University of Klagenfurt.
- February 2011 to April 2012: Vice Dean of the Department of Computer Science in Dortmund.
- Development of a new business-oriented specialization area curriculum in Computer Science at TU Dortmund, 2008; responsible for student recruitment activities for the department between 2009 and 2011.
- From 2006 to 2008 Programme Manager for Informatics/Computer Science at University Klagenfurt.
- Chair of the curriculum committee “Informatics”; member of curriculum committee “Information technology” until 2008 at University Klagenfurt.
- 2007-2008 Vice-chair of the Institute of Applied Informatics at University Klagenfurt.
- Until 2004: Member of the university committee responsible for the Computer Science curriculum, responsible for administrative and legal procedures in the context of the establishment of a new Computer Science curriculum in Klagenfurt
- Responsible for management and co-ordination of teaching activities of the Computer Science institutes from 2000 to 2003 in Klagenfurt.
Academic committees and other reviewing activities
- Member of various appointment promotion committees, external reviewer for academic promotions at international universities.
- External PhD/MSc examiner or evaluator for different universities:
- EPFL Lausanne
- Charles University of Prague
- Université de Nancy
- University College Dublin
- University of South Australia
- Universität Hildesheim
- Monash University
- University of Bari Aldo Moro
- Free University of Bolzano
- University of Aalborg
- University of Passau / INSA Lyon
- University of Oldenburg
- University of Tampere
- Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre
- TU Graz University
- University Lille, IESEG School of Management
- University of Innsbruck
- University of Linz
- TU Eindhoven
- TU Berlin
- NTNU Norway
- Reviewer for research proposals for
- the European Research Council (ERC)
- the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- the Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- the Austrian Research Promotion Agency (FFG)
- the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research
- Aufbaubank Thüringen
- Agence nationale de la recherche (ANR)
- the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
- the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e. V. (DLR)
- the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research and
- the Swiss National Science Foundation
- the Israel Science Foundation
- Science Foundation Ireland
- University of Bozen-Bolzano
- Cyprus Research and Innovation Foundation
- ANID, Chile
- External assessor in promotion committees and professor appointment commitees for various international universities.
- Member of the Faculty Council of the Department of Computer Science at TU Dortmund (2010-2012, 2014-2016).
- Recruitment of Indian students in Hyderabad, 2007
- MediaFutures – Research Center for Responsible Media Technology & Innovation. Funded by the Research Council of Norway (2020-2025)
Advisor and Researcher
- Interactive Spreadsheet Debugging. Joint project with TU Graz, Austria. Funded through the FWF (2019 – 2022)
Proposer and Principal Investigator
- Decision Making in a Digital Age – DECIDE (2019-2021). Funded as graduate school by Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt through the program “Humans in the Digital Age”.
Co-Proposer, supervisor in the graduate school
- Debugging of Spreadsheet Programs (2015-2018). Funded by DFG and Austrian Science Fund. Joint project with TU Graz, Austria, and Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt, Austria.
Proposer, project manager for German partner and principal researcher
- Exquisite – Excel Quality Suite (2011-2014). Funded by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (Germany) through the European Regional Development Fund (EU).
Proposer, project manager and principal researcher
- iKnow: Innovation and Knowledge Management towards eStudent Information System (2010-2012). Funded in the TEMPUS Programme (EU).
Consulting / Quality Control
- Entwicklung eines Systems für die integrative Lebensmittelüberwachung im Verbund amtlicher und privatwirtschaftlicher Institutionen (2009-2012). Funded by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (Germany) through the European Regional Development Fund (EU).
Co-proposer and researcher
- C2DSAS: Command and Control Decision Support and Advisor Services (2007-2009). Funded by FFG / Kiras Programme (Austria).
Proposer, principal researcher, project manager (until 2008); researcher 2008-2009
- V-Know: Collaborative Knowledge base debugging and refinement. (2007-2010). Individual project – funded by FWF (Austria).
Proposer, principal researcher and project manager / until 2008
- CDM@AIRPORTS: Intelligent decision management in the context of airport operations (2004-2006). Funded by FFG (Austria).
Principal investigator and project leader for partner University Klagenfurt
- ALLRIGHT: Automated product data extraction from web sources (2005-2007). Funded within Austrian FIT-IT Programme.
Project application and preparation, principal researcher and technical lead for ConfigWorks GmbH.
- etPlanner: Project funded by the Austrian Network for e-tourism on intelligent recommenders in e-tourism, mobile services, and user interface adaptation (2005- 2008).
Research, technical consulting on behalf of project partner ConfigWorks GmbH.
- KOBA4MS – Advanced techniques for rapid development of knowledge-based advisory systems (2004-2006). Funded by FFF (Austria).
Researcher, technical consulting for ConfigWorks GmbH.
- TECTRANS: Project aiming at transferring mass-customization technology into industrial practice (2005-2006), funded by KWF (Austria).
Researcher, responsible for industrial case study
- MACUS: Interdisciplinary project on mass customization, variety steering, and corresponding IT support (2003-2005). Funded by Österreichische Nationalbank.
- CAWICOMS: Customer-Adaptive Web Interfaces for Configuration Systems with Multiple Suppliers (1999 – 2003). Funded by European Commission.
Principal investigator, Subproject and work-package leader