To start the Bachelor’s degree programme in International Business and Economics in Klagenfurt, you need to go through a special admission procedure.
Registration period for the special admission procedure
15 January to 30 April 2023
- Practical AND theoretical: Professionals in business administration don’t simply do stuff, but rather: they know exactly what to do. And they know that whatever they do leads to success. With the knowledge you learn here in Klagenfurt you will be state of the art, and can put what you have learned straight into practice. To give you a taste of the genuine business atmosphere while you are still studying, you can complete an internship with one of our international cooperation partners – the hours will be credited as part of your studies!
- International setting: More young international people study at Klagenfurt University than at other universities. Spanish, Russian, English, Chinese – we offer a wide range of language classes to help you prepare for your career, wherever you choose to live and work. The degree in “International Business and Economics“ prepares you for your stellar international career.
- We will accompany you on your journey. Are you nervous about disappearing among the masses of students at a large university? That won’t happen to you here in Klagenfurt. We only accept a maximum of 50 students per academic year – and we pick the best minds by means of an admission procedure. For us you are not just one among many, you are special. We want to know who you are, what moves you and what you want to achieve. That’s why we offer very good supervision arrangements, small seminars and compact working groups.
How we are seen
- We excel in rankings!
The University of Klagenfurt is one of the top 2 % universities worldwide.
(Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- We are distinguished by our students!
The University of Klagenfurt is the only university in the world to win a Global Student Satisfaction Award twice in a row
(Studyportals – the Global Study Choice Platform)
- Our study programmes come highly recommended!
The University of Klagenfurt is recommended by 97 % of its students.
- Top quality is our standard!
The University of Klagenfurt places high value on comprehensive quality standards. Our quality management is EVALAG-certified,
we maintain the highest environmental standards (EMAS certification) and are a family-friendly university.
(State quality label “hochschuleundfamilie”)
- Accounting: The performance of a company is expressed in figures. We introduce you to bookkeeping and financial accounting.
- Economics: In any given society, goods and services are produced and distributed, but we, as human beings, also act “economically”, i.e. we generate benefits for the individual or for a community. Here in Klagenfurt you will gain a holistic and analytical view of all economic matters – be they large or small.
- International Economics: How is the global exchange of goods organised and who is in the lead when it comes to import-export balance sheets? Which new markets can be developed globally? But also: What are the effects of our economic system on global inequality and what can we do to counteract them?
- Service Management: Around 70 percent of total value added in Austria (as in Germany) can be attributed to the service sector. So it’ s definitely worth the effort to keep developing services. We introduce you to market research, customer satisfaction and loyalty management, quality and customer complaint management.
- Controlling and Strategic Corporate Management: Just how well a company performs can be measured by a wealth of data. Controllers keep an eye on the key metrics and are therefore able to inform management decisions.
- Corporate Finance: How can companies optimise their capital structure? What dividend policy should be pursued? How are decisions on investments made and how is the value of a company determined? In this area, you will receive answers to these questions and many more besides.
- Innovation Management and Entrepreneurship: Admittedly, there are those who get together with friends to tinker on a new product in their garage, make a pitch for a million-dollar investment and then triumph on the world market. To bring innovations to market, you also need luck. We will provide you with the knowledge you need to ensure your entrepreneurial fortune is lasting.
- Marketing and International Management: Products and services have to be marketed in order to ultimately find consumers – regionally as well as globally. We introduce you to market-oriented business management.
- Energy and Sustainability: In which direction is e-mobility developing and how can money be earned in the long term using sustainable means? We will work with you to find answers to these questions.
- Human Resources, Management and Organisation: While flat hierarchies dominate in one company and people tend to be on familiar terms, at another, strict processes might help to ensure clear structures. Very often a company’s approach to its staff and the way it defines itself as an organisation is critical to its success. We can show you what human resources management is really all about.
- Production management and logistics: How do you deliver emergency supplies to disaster areas? What are the global networks that shape the production of goods? We take a closer look behind the global supply chains.
- Public Management: It’s not only private companies that need to be well managed, the public sector needs good managers too.
- Law: We will teach you the fundamentals of law that you will later use in your professional work in the business sphere.
- Taxation: Companies want to operate in a “tax-friendly” way. Here in Klagenfurt you will learn the most important basics of business tax theory and tax law. At the same time, we will also take a look at international tax law.
- Sociology: The individual is not alone in the world. Neither can the economy be detached from society. Gain a deeper insight into our social behaviour.
We help you to acquire scientific skills, and you can use them to good effect. Business management decisions often have far-reaching consequences: They determine the economic success of companies and public institutions – and ultimately affect people’s jobs. Those who make knowledge-based decisions have a clear advantage!
- Everything you need for the practical setting. Around 40 percent of our lecturers are highly successful in the professional field. What we offer is nothing out of this world, but rather we allow you to take flight.
- Triumph with soft skills. The world of work needs team players who can work creatively and purposefully, regardless of subjects and cultures. In our seminars you will learn how to boost inspiration and efficiency in group work. Here you will learn to become a moderator and manager of projects.
- Reaching for the sky after graduation. Many of our graduates enter professional life straight after their Bachelor’s degree. However, others are eager for more. At the University of Klagenfurt, we are able to offer you Master’s degree programmes, which are specially tailored to you: Applied Business Administration with the branches of study Energy and Environmental Management, Entrepreneurship and General Management, but also International Management (in English) and Media and Convergence Management (in English).
- Internationally versatile all-round talent with enhanced decision-making skills: The Bachelor’s degree in International Business and Economics qualifies you to take on roles as a responsible, reflective and critical decision-maker and facilitator in international business contexts.
- Create your own start-up: The degree programme equips you with all the tools you need to start your own business. Be your own boss, turn your business idea into reality and distribute it around the world!
- Economics: You will learn to determine which markets have the potential for growth and are suitable targets for your company. Many corporations have come to appreciate the holistic and analytical view, thus ensuring that success does not only serve the company, but is beneficial for all of us.
- All things financial: Controlling and finance departments offer well-paid positions everywhere for those who enjoy working with numbers!
- Innovation Management: New things are good. But new things need fertile economic soil in order to flourish. You will emerge as an innovation expert who can successfully cultivate new market segments.
- Service Management: Keeping customers is less expensive than winning new ones. Either way, you need properly organised service processes.
- Human Resources Development: Headhunters, or so-called human resources managers, are often used in the race for the best brains.
- Marketing/Advertising: If customers do not perceive a desire to make a purchase, even the best product or the best service won’t be sold. We’ll transform you into a versatile marketing professional.
- Production and Logistics: What is produced and where? And how does it get from A to B – and ultimately to the customer? If you can keep a cool head and take well-founded decisions in the midst of the ever more complex global network, you too will join the corporate ranks of the high-flyers.
In Klagenfurt you can study at your own pace. To help you follow your path with confidence, we keep it clear of (bureaucratic) stumbling blocks and barriers. If you wish to reach your goal quickly and efficiently, we will always be there to support you. Our recommended course of study will guide you through the semesters. You work your way through the curriculum – making the most of opportunities to broaden your horizons and without wasting time. If you would like to know which courses await you before you start, take a look at the wide range of seminars and lectures.
Programme structure: a tabular overview
|Required subjects||Principles of Business||38||1-4|
|Principles of Economics||18||1-4|
|Introduction to Law|
|Introduction to Sociology|
|Introduction to Gender Studies|
|Intercultural and Scientific Skills|
|Methodology in Business and Economics Research||16||1-4|
|Topics in International Business||16|| 3-5|
|Topics in International Economics||16|| 3-5|
|Electives Subjects I||Students must complete two electives to the value of 12 ECTS each.|
Students can choose from the electives listed below:
|Electives Subjects II||Students must either complete one elective to the value of 16 ECTS credits, or two electives to the value of 8 ECTS credits each|
|Bachelor Thesis & Seminar||6 + 2|| 5-6|
| || Total||180|| |
Introductory orientation period (STEOP)
The introductory orientation phase grants students an overview of the key elements of the degree programme and of the course of studies ahead. Thus, it provides a factual basis for the personal evaluation of the choice of degree programme. As students must successfully complete the introductory orientation phase in order to continue their studies, it is recommended that the introductory orientation phase should be scheduled during the first semester. The introductory orientation phase within the Bachelor's degree programme in International Business and Economics at the University of Klagenfurt comprises four courses ("Introduction to Business", "Introduction to Economics", "Intercultural Skills" and "Scientific Skills") amounting to a total of 8 ECTS credits. Prior to the final completion of the StEOP, students may attend further courses worth a total of 22 ECTS credits.
Recommended course of study
Important note regarding lecture courses scheduled on a cyclical basis: Although certain lecture courses are only offered once a year, the corresponding examinations can be taken year-round on specific dates.
1. Semester (Starting in the winter semester)
||ECTS||Course number + title
|2||601.110 Introduction to Business||VO/VI|
|2||607.110 Introduction to Economics||VO/VI|
|2||609.001 | 609.003 Intercultural Skills||VC/KS|
|2||555.001 | 555.002 Scientific Skills||VC/KS|
|Principles of Business||8 (2×4)||Depending on your interest choose 2-3 courses:
601.648 BUS 1: Financial Reporting
|Methodology in Business and Economics Research||6||311.960 + 311.961 | 311.962 Methodology 1: Mathematics||VO+KS|
|Principles of Economics||10||607.135 | 607.136 ECON 1: Microeconomics
608.110 ECON 3: Economic Policy
|Subject||ECTS||Course number + title
|Principles of Economics||6||607.145 | 607.146 | 607.147 ECON2: Macroeconomics||VC|
|Introduction to Law||4||618.300 Introduction to Law||VO|
|Principles of Business||12 (3×4)||Depending on your interest choose 2-3 courses:
601.912 Entrepreneurship & Innovation (BUS 3)
|Methodology in Business and Economics Research||6||311.990 + 311.991 | 311.992 Methodology 2: Statistics||VO+KS|
Students may complete an internship (worth a total of 16 ECTS credits) with one of our national or international cooperation partners from the field of science or industry. Alternatively, students may acquire up to 16 ECTS credits at a foreign university and/or spend a semester studying abroad.
Students can also complete language courses worth either 8 or 16 ECTS credits. The languages can be selected from the entire range on offer at the University of Klagenfurt, which comprises English, French, Italian, Spanish, Slovenian, Russian, and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian.
|Graduates will be/have:||Graduates will be able to:|
|business knowledge||… explain the basic principles of business.|
|an interdisciplinary mindset||… describe interdisciplinary relationships (e.g. business-economics, business-technology, business-sociology, business-law, etc.).|
|skilled at solving international business problems||… identify an international business/economics problem and select appropriate solutions/methods.|
|academic literacy||… research international business/ economics problems by drawing on their academic skills.|
There are no limits to your personal development. Enjoy the freedom that only a university degree can offer you and expand your horizons beyond your academic studies. You can pick and choose which competences will set you apart in the world of work in the future. We have lots to offer, for instance:
- We are living in the age of digital transformation: The extension programme "Digital Skills" will equip you with the perfect amount of computer science knowledge needed for your professional career.
- Are you interested in collaborating in groups, teams and organisations to achieve the best possible results? In the extension programme “Social Competence and Organizational Learning SCOL“ we will show you how project and conflict management, mediation processes and moderation techniques can succeed.
- Do you want to learn a new language in addition to Business English and prepare for an international career? You can learn Russian, Spanish or Chinese (and many other languages besides) at the University of Klagenfurt.
Continue to browse through this overview of all the elective subjects.
15 January to 30 April 2023
The online examination will take place in July.
You must also meet the following conditions, which also apply to all other programmes:
- General university entrance qualification (e. g. school leaving certificate such as "Matura" or "Abitur", high school diploma)
- English language skills at level B2 (CEFR)
- Here in Klagenfurt, you will get to know your fellow students during the Welcome Days – and you will make new friends in the very first week; friends you will share memorable experiences with in the years to come.
- You will never be a mere (matriculation) number here: Our courses have a limited number of participants and so our lecturers will soon get to know you. We encourage and challenge you, in every way you need!
- Your degree starts with the so-called “Introductory phase (STEOP)”. No matter which school you attended or which qualifications you bring with you to the university: We will get you to the level you need in order to study successfully in the semesters ahead. In addition, the technology preparation courses will help you to rapidly progress on the road to success in your studies!
The Bachelor’s degree in International Business and Economics prepares you for a career in the international business arena. We will teach you the necessary knowledge of English as a business language and will communicate with you in English throughout your studies. No matter whether you want to work in the management of a local company with an international focus, or whether you are drawn to a non-profit organisation in Amsterdam, Bangkok or Boston: This degree programme will give you the best possible preparation. Even while you are still studying, you can undertake an internship with one of our international cooperation partners. Alternatively, you can complete a semester abroad during your studies and spend it at one of the university’s 250 or so partner universities. You won't need to worry about your finances – we have plenty of scholarships on offer.
Once you have completed the Bachelor's degree programme in International Business and Economics you can continue straight on to one of the following degree programmes. The choice is yours:
Is the degree programme in International Business and Economics the right one for me?
Are you interested in current economic challenges in a global context and do you want to know about the various differences in the world’s financial markets and learn to take a global view? Do you want to identify and help shape the challenges of the future? Then this English language Bachelor’s programme is perfect for you.
What level of English proficiency do I need for this degree programme?
According to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, you need level B2. This means that you are able to understand the overall content of more demanding texts and that you can communicate spontaneously and fluently.
How does the admission procedure for IBE work?
The admission procedure for this degree programme consists of two parts. You need to register, upload a letter of motivation and then you can take the exam. In total, we can award 50 places for students.
How do I start my academic studies at the University of Klagenfurt?
Our check list will help you to get started. We have compiled everything you need to know here – from registering online right up to enrolling for a degree programme.
Who can I contact if I have questions about the content of the degree programme?
If you have any questions regarding content, please contact the programme director at ibec [at] aau [dot] at.
What job prospects do I have once I graduate?
Upon graduating from this degree programme, you will have what it takes to be a big player and you can launch your career in any number of business fields around the world.
What do I need to know for the admission examination?
The online examination is held in English. This exam tests your understanding of the specified literature. The examination literature is available for download on the webpage for the special admission procedure.
University of Klagenfurt