Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, the degree programme Media and Convergence Management will be held in hybrid mode in the upcoming summer semester 2022.
- Cooperation of the three faculties of Humanities, Management and Economics, and Technical Sciences.
- One-of-a-kind degree with a limited number of participants.
- A wealth of opportunities to become acquainted with other cultures in the course of excursions or study periods abroad.
- The degree programme conveys theoretically sound knowledge that is practically reflected.
- Excellent supervision arrangements.
How we are seen
- We excel in rankings!
The University of Klagenfurt is one of the top 2 % universities worldwide.
(Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- We are distinguished by our students!
The University of Klagenfurt has received a Global Student Satisfaction Award.
(Studyportals – the Global Study Choice Platform)
- Our study programmes come highly recommended!
The University of Klagenfurt is recommended by 97 % of its students.
- Top quality is our standard!
The University of Klagenfurt places high value on comprehensive quality standards. Our quality management is EVALAG-certified,
we maintain the highest environmental standards (EMAS certification) and are a family-friendly university.
(State quality label “hochschuleundfamilie”)
The degree programme aims to convey fundamental theoretical principles while also demonstrating their practical application. Students are able to
- comprehend and optimise particular characteristics of value-creation-chains in the media industry.
- link areas from media and communication sciences with economic and technological areas and conduct independent research in these fields.
- manage the intersections between organisational communication, media economics, media management, marketing, advertising, and technology.
In Klagenfurt you can study at your own pace. To help you follow your path with confidence, we keep it clear of (bureaucratic) stumbling blocks and barriers. If you wish to reach your goal quickly and efficiently, we will always be there to support you. Our recommended course of study will guide you through the semesters. You work your way through the curriculum – making the most of opportunities to broaden your horizons and without wasting time. If you would like to know which courses await you before you start, take a look at the wide range of seminars and lectures.
Programme structure: a tabular overview
|Required Subjects||Complementary subjects||16|
|Quantitative and Qualitative Methods (for Media Research)||4|
|Organisational Communication and Media Management (OAM)||14|
|Distributed Multimedia Systems (DMS)||4|
|Human Centered Computing (HCC)||8|
|Innovation and Marketing (IAM)||8|
|Electives I||Media and Communication (MC)||8|
|Multimedia Systems (MS)||4|
|Innovation, Marketing and Law (IML)||4|
Recommended course of study
Important note regarding lecture courses scheduled on a cyclical basis: Although certain lecture courses are only offered once a year, the corresponding examinations can be taken year-round on specific dates.
|SUBJECT||ECTS||Course number + title||Course type|
|Complementary Subjects||16||180.800 Media and Communication Theories
180.801 Introduction to Organizational Communication
180.806 Principles of Business Management I
180.807 Principles of Business Management II
180.808 Introduction to Media Informatics
180.809 Media Informatics Lab
|Law||4||180.805 Media Law||VC/LC*|
|HCC||4||180.812 Human Centered Computing I||VC/LC*|
|MS||4||180.823 Computer Games||VC/LC*|
|OAM||4||180.803 Principles of Media Economics and Media and Convergence Management I (OAM)||VO/L|
* compulsory attendance
|SUBJECT||ECTS||Course number + title||Course type|
|OAM||8||180.813 Principles of Media Economics and Media and Convergence Management II (OAM)
180.804 MCM Project Management
|OAM||4||180.802 Quantitative and Qualitative Methods (for Media Research) or
180.820 Qualitative Content Analysis
|DMS||4||180.810 Introduction to Multimedia Technology
180.811 Introduction to Multimedia Technology
|HCC||4||180.812 Human Centered Computing II||VC/LC*|
|IAM||8||601.912 Entrepreneurship & Innovation (BUS3)
602.419 Consumer Behavior and Media
|Electives||4||180.828 Interactive Systems||VC/LC
* compulsory attendance
The legally binding version of this curriculum is the german version!
There are no limits to your personal development. Enjoy the freedom that only a university degree can offer you and expand your horizons beyond your academic studies. You can pick and choose which competences will set you apart in the future. We have lots to offer, for instance:
- Are you looking to set up your own business and launch an entrepreneurial venture? Looking for the necessary business know-how? By acquiring the “Build! Entrepreneurship Certificate” you will gain the very skills you need to turn your brilliant idea into a successful business!
- Do you want to learn even more languages? Take advantage of the wide range of courses offered at the University of Klagenfurt – from Spanish to Chinese (and many other languages besides)!
- Would you like to enhance your digital skills and learn more about the foundations of future technological developments? Go beyond the boundaries of your academic subjects and add information technology skills to your studies.
Special admission procedure
Registration period for the special admission procedure
1 March to 15 July 2023
Applicants have to go through a special admission procedure to start the Master‘s degree in Media and Convergence Management in Klagenfurt.
Applicants must also meet the following conditions:
- Due to the fact that the degree programme is offered in cooperation with three faculties, students with a background in humanities, social or economic sciences or technical sciences are encouraged to apply. Graduates of the following AAU Bachelor degrees qualify: Media and Communications, Applied Informatics, Applied Business Administration, Business and Law, Information Management etc. Moreover, candidates who have obtained a similar degree at another post-secondary institution are welcome to submit their applications.
Information on Bachelor’s degree programmes that are relevant for admission
- English language level C1
evidence of English language proficiency at the required level at the time of application.Prospective students who apply for admission to a Master’s degree programme taught in English must provide
- Here in Klagenfurt, you will get to know your fellow students during the Welcome Days – and you will make new friends in the very first week; friends you will share memorable experiences with in the years to come.
- Our student guidance service is here for you if you need some support as you start your studies. You can reach us via WhatsApp, e-mail, phone or our social media channels.
- At the ÖH student union Info Days at the start of each semester experienced students provide advice about your chosen degree programme and share useful insiders’ tips.
Graduates are qualified to occupy leading positions at middle and upper management levels. Typical fields of activity include:
- media and telecommunication companies
- ICT companies
- branded goods companies
- information technology
- responsible activities in small and medium-sized companies working in the fields of advertising, organisational communication, and convergence.
You’ll soon discover this: Graduates and students from the University of Klagenfurt have many interesting careers.
In general, students are encouraged to spend a period of time studying abroad. This can be organised as a short period abroad within the scope of the restricted electives II (Electives II), accounting for 8 ECTS credits, or a full semester abroad.
Erasmus+ and Joint Study programmes allow students to study at numerous partner universities in Europe and across the globe.
When does the semester start?
The winter semester starts on the 1st of October and ends on the 31st of January. The summer semester starts on the 1st of March and ends on the 30th of June.
Further information is available in Term dates & deadlines.
How can I apply for the Master’s degree programme?
Further information on master’s degree programmes with special admission procedures
How can I prove English language proficiency?
A list of the accepted language qualifications is available in the Regulation issued by the Rectorate concerning proof of required language proficiency for admission to study programmes.
Where can I find additional information? Who can I contact with questions?
Once you have completed the Master’s degree programme in Media and Convergence Management you can continue straight on to the following degree programmes: