- Top professional and formal competences
- Unique personal development opportunities
- Practical insights into an innovative corporate environment
- Experience abroad is easy to integrate into the degree programme
How we are seen
- We excel in rankings!
The University of Klagenfurt is one of the top 2 % universities worldwide.
(Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- We are distinguished by our students!
The University of Klagenfurt has received a Global Student Satisfaction Award.
(Studyportals – the Global Study Choice Platform)
- Our study programmes come highly recommended!
The University of Klagenfurt is recommended by 97 % of its students.
- Top quality is our standard!
The University of Klagenfurt places high value on comprehensive quality standards. Our quality management is EVALAG-certified,
we maintain the highest environmental standards (EMAS certification) and are a family-friendly university.
(State quality label “hochschuleundfamilie”)
You will gain a range of scientific skills, and you can really put them to good use. Business management decisions often have far-reaching consequences: They determine the economic success of companies and public institutions – and ultimately people’s jobs. People who make knowledge-based decisions have a distinct advantage! Those who can also always be sure that they are on solid legal ground have a bonus that will pay dividends later.
- All you need in the practical setting. Around 40 percent of our lecturers are also successful practitioners. What we offer you is not abstract, but rather something that allows you to soar.
- Triumph with soft skills. The world of work needs team players who are able to operate in a creative and goal-oriented manner, regardless of subjects and cultures. In our seminars you will learn how to boost inspiration and efficiency in group work. Here, you will develop into a moderator and manager of projects.
- Aim for the sky after graduation. Graduates in this field typically find a job straight after graduation and are highly sought after on the job market.
In Klagenfurt you can study at your own pace. To help you follow your path with confidence, we keep it clear of (bureaucratic) stumbling blocks and barriers. If you wish to reach your goal quickly and efficiently, we will always be there to support you. Our recommended course of study will guide you through the semesters. You work your way through the curriculum – making the most of opportunities to broaden your horizons and without wasting time. If you would like to know which courses await you before you start, take a look at the wide range of seminars and lectures.
Programme structure: a tabular overview
|Compulsory subjects||Expansion of competences||12|
|Guided electives||For the specialisation, choice of three subjects (12 ECTS credits each)||36|
|For the specialisation, choice of one subject||12|
|In-depth seminar on guided electives||4|
|Seminar reflecting on the internship||1|
|Master's thesis||Master's thesis||19|
|Seminar(s) accompanying the Master's thesis||4|
|Final overall exam||1|
During the Master’s degree programme, students can complete a relevant internship in acompany in Austria or abroad, in public administration or in a non-profit organisation for a period of two months. The weekly working time must be at least 30 hours. The successfully completed internship is worth 11 ECTS credits. Successful completion involves taking part in a seminar aimed at dealing with the experience in the field (1 ECTS) and preparing a written report on the experience and reflecting on it in a scientific manner.
|Graduates will be/have||Graduates will be able to|
|deep business knowledge||… demonstrate their in-depth understanding of the principles of business.|
|interdisciplinary thinkers and actors||… appraise interdisciplinary relationships (e.g. business-economics, business-law, business-sociology) beyond mere business knowledge.|
|highly skilled at solving complex business problems||… evaluate current and future business challenges and implement and reflect appropriate solutions/methods.|
|independent and reflected||… independently research challenges arising at the interface of business and law by drawing on their academic skills.|
There are no limits to your personal development. Enjoy the freedom that only a university degree can offer you and expand your horizons beyond your academic studies. You can pick and choose which competences will set you apart in the world of work in the future. We have lots to offer, for instance:
- We are living in the age of digital transformation: The extension programme “Digital Competences” will equip you with the perfect amount of computer science knowledge needed for your professional career.
- Are you interested in collaborating in groups, teams and organisations to achieve the best possible results? In the extension programme “Social Competence and Organizational Learning SCOL“ we will show you how project and conflict management, mediation processes and moderation techniques can succeed.
- Do you want to learn a new language and prepare for an international career? You can learn Russian, Spanish or Chinese (and many other languages besides) at the University of Klagenfurt.
Admission to the Master’s Dregree Programme Business Administration must occur within the admission periods.
Important enrollment information
The Admissions and Examinations Office can be visited after an appointment has been made. Appointments are made as follows:
- Students need to book an appointment via the student portal (campus.aau.at) via the menu on the left under Services and the button “Appointment bookings”.
- Applicants need to book an appointment via the registration portal and the tab “Appointment bookings”.
- Applicants without access to the registration portal may book an appointment via the general booking page at appointment.aau.at.
You do not have to go through a special admission procedure to start the Master's degree programme in Business Administration in Klagenfurt.
You only have to meet the following conditions, which also apply to all other programmes:
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree programme or a degree programme of equivalent academic value at another post-secondary educational institution
Information on Bachelor’s degree programmes that are relevant for admission (PDF)
- Proof of proficiency in German at Level B2 of the CEFR
Students whose first language is not German must prove knowledge of the German language (language level B2).
A the time of application, German language skills of at least level A2 must be demonstrated (Proof of language proficiency). German courses and exams are offered as part of the VAAU pre-study course by www.dia.at .
irst language is not the language in which the degree programme is conducted must provide evidence of language proficiency at the required level at the time of application.Prospective students who apply for admission to a Master's degree programme and whose f
Winter semester 2023/24
General admission period for Bachelor’s programmes:
10 July to 5 September 2023
General admission period for other programmes:
10 July to 31 October 2023
Summer semester 2024
General admission period for Bachelor’s programmes:
08 January 2024 – 05 February 2024
General admission period for other programmes:
08 January 2024 – 31 March 2024
- Here in Klagenfurt, you will get to know your fellow students during the Welcome Days – and you will make new friends in the very first week; friends you will share memorable experiences with in the years to come.
- Our student guidance service is here for you if you need some support as you start your studies. You can reach us via WhatsApp, e-mail, phone or our social media channels.
- At the ÖH student union Info Days at the start of each semester experienced students provide advice about your chosen degree programme and share useful insiders’ tips.
There are no limits to your career. This degree programme will equip you to compete and thrive in a dynamic professional environment. The Master’s degree programme also enhances your career opportunities: Invest two years now – and benefit throughout your entire professional life.
Typical fields of work include: Management, project leadership (e.g. controlling, finance, taxation), human resources development, public and non-profit management, marketing/advertising, production and logistics management, energy and environmental management, innovation and entrepreneurship, research and development.
You’ll soon discover this: Graduates and students from the University of Klagenfurt enjoy varied and interesting careers.
The Master’s degree programme in Business Administration prepares you for your career in business. We provide you with the necessary knowledge in English business language. Regardless of whether you want to work in management in a Carinthian company or whether you are drawn to Amsterdam, Bangkok or Boston: This degree programme provides you with the best possible preparation. Complete a semester abroad during your studies and spend it at one of the university’s 250 or so partner universities. You won't need to worry about your finances – we have plenty of scholarships on offer.
Is the Master’s degree in Business Administration the right programme for me?
Are you interested in learning how to make strategic business decisions? Do you want to gain a deep understanding of business administration and train your skills to think and act like an entrepreneur? The Master’s degree programme in Business Administration is designed for exactly this purpose and offers you a scientifically sound and at the same time practice-oriented education in line with the times.
Which Bachelor’s degrees allow me to continue straight onto this Master’s programme?
A relevant Bachelor’s degree programme such as the Bachelor’s programmes in Applied Business Administration, Business Administration, Information Management, International Business and Economics, Economics and Law, and Management Information Systems at the University of Klagenfurt.
What other relevant degrees allow me to enter the programme?
Other relevant programmes of at least the same level of higher education, which have provided management and economics knowledge amounting to at least 60 ECTS credits. If the student has completed another degree programme of at least the same level of higher education and only a few additions are needed in order to reach the required minimum ECTS credits, additional courses and examinations amounting to a maximum of 30 ECTS credits may be prescribed. These supplementary examinations must be completed by the end of the second semester of the Master’s programme.
What is the language of instruction in this Master’s degree programme?
German. Students whose first language is not German must prove knowledge of the German language at level B2.
What are my career prospects after graduating?
The Master’s degree programme allows you to launch your career in many business areas or to realise your own business concept. The following areas are particularly relevant:
- Strategic corporate development
- Personnel development and/or personnel recruiting
- Public and non-profit management
- Production and logistics management
- Energy and environmental management
Where can I find out if I am eligible for admission?
Please contact the Programme Director by e-mail abw [at] aau [dot] at
Once you have completed the Master’s degree programme in Business Administration you can continue straight on to the following degree programme: