Guidelines for the One-semester Work Placement
- You are studying the branch of Public Management and Law of Public Administration (Master’s programme in Business and Law)
- You are studying the elective subject Public and Non Profit Management in the branch of study General Management (Master’s programme of Applied Business Administration)
Students may choose on their own where the work placement will be. For example:
- Nonprofit organizations (e.g. social service institutions, charities)
- Public administrations at national and international level (e.g. in the areas of city marketing, personnel development, controlling)
- Public enterprises (e.g. hospitals, energy supply companies, federal state banks)
- Public associations/Parafisci (e.g. social security agencies, chambers)
In addition to working on operational tasks in the field of public business administration, you need to work on a specific project.
You need to speak with our department about the project before you agree on it with your internship provider. Please take into account the company-specific structures and requirements, when planing your projects contents.
We recommend that you complete the one-semester work placement in your second semester of the master’s degree programme. You have to apply for the internship at least at least 14 days before the start of the semester (you can find the request form under “Downloads”). The request form must be signed by you and sent to the office of the institute.
Depending on your curriculum, the internship lasts at least three or four months and must be completed within one semester.
You also have to register in ZEUS for the course “one-semester work placement in public business administration” in order to receive ECTS credits for the internship. The weekly working hours during the internship must be at least 30 hours.
End of the Work Placement
At the end of the one-semester work placement, you need to write a report. The report should have the following content:
- Description of the workplace provider
- Your tasks during the semester and the content of your specific project
- Describe the professional experience you gained through the work placement
- Describe the personal experience you gained through the work placement
The report should cover about 10 to 15 pages. You are not supposed to write a scientific paper, but a report on experience. Nevertheless, you need to apply our formal standards (cover page, chapter subdivision, formatting). Please send your final report by e-mail to the course instructor (and in CC to Karin Falkenburg at puma [dot] office [at] aau [dot] at).
You have to send us your report as well as the confirmation of your internship signed by the workplace provider (form under “Downloads”) unrequested after completion of the internship – at the latest, however, two weeks before the beginning of the following semester.
Seminar to Review the Work Placement
When you finish your one-semester work placement, you need to attend the seminar “reflection of the internship for Public Business Administration“. In this seminar you will present your specific project as well as the knowledge you gained.
You will only be admitted to the seminar if you have submitted your report and confirmation on time.