- Practical AND theoretical: Professionals in business administration don’t simply do stuff, but rather: they know exactly what to do. And they know that whatever they do leads to success. With the knowledge you learn here in Klagenfurt you will be state of the art, and can put what you have learned straight into practice. To give you a taste of the genuine business atmosphere while you are still studying, you can complete an internship – the hours will be credited as part of your studies!
- Can’t decide whether to do business or law? You don’t have to! Our Bachelor's programme in Business and Law offers you the necessary foundations for both. This is your chance to keep all your career options open.
- International setting: More young international people study at Klagenfurt University than at other universities. Spanish, Russian, English, Chinese – we offer a wide range of language classes to help you prepare for your career, wherever you choose to live and work.
- We will accompany you on your journey. Are you nervous about disappearing among the masses of students at a large university? That won’t happen to you here in Klagenfurt. For us you are not just one among many, you are special, even in our so-called “large-scale” degree programmes. We want to know who you are, what moves you and what you want to achieve. That’s why we offer very good supervision arrangements, small seminars and compact working groups.
Student Guidance Service
E-Mail: studieninfo [at] aau [dot] at
How we are seen
- We excel in rankings!
The University of Klagenfurt is one of the top 2 % universities worldwide.
(Times Higher Education World University Rankings)
- We are distinguished by our students!
The University of Klagenfurt is the only university in the world to win a Global Student Satisfaction Award twice in a row
(Studyportals – the Global Study Choice Platform)
- Our study programmes come highly recommended!
The University of Klagenfurt is recommended by 97 % of its students.
- Top quality is our standard!
The University of Klagenfurt places high value on comprehensive quality standards. Our quality management is EVALAG-certified,
we maintain the highest environmental standards (EMAS certification) and are a family-friendly university.
(State quality label “hochschuleundfamilie”)
- Company Law: What constitutes a company, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different forms of incorporation, how should invoices be prepared and what are the rules governing business transactions? These are the issues that will be addressed in this area of study.
- Private Law: Private law regulates the legal relationships between (private) citizens.
- Public Law: In contrast to Private Law, Public Law regulates the organisation of the State and the relationship between the citizens and the State.
- Labour and Social Law: What rights do employees have and what should be taken into account when drawing up employment contracts? Matters of human resources involve the application of Labour and Social Law.
- Accounting: The performance of a company is expressed in figures. We introduce you to bookkeeping and financial accounting.
- Taxation: Companies want to operate in a “tax-friendly” way. Here in Klagenfurt you will learn the most important basics of business tax theory and tax law. For those who would like to work as a tax consultant at a later date, this degree programme offers those important first training steps.
- Controlling and Strategic Corporate Management: Just how well a company performs can be measured by a wealth of data. Controllers keep an eye on the key metrics and are therefore able to inform the decisions of corporate management.
- Corporate Finance: How can companies optimise their capital structure? What dividend policy should be pursued? How are decisions on investments made and how is the value of a company determined? In this area, you will receive answers to these questions and many more besides.
- Non-profit Management: Non-profit organisations should also be run profitably – to maximise environmental, human rights or educational benefits. We can show you what to pay particular attention to when dealing with NPOs.
- Public Management: It's not only private companies that need to be well managed, the public sector needs good managers too.
- Economics: In any given society, goods and factors of production are produced and distributed, but we, as human beings, also act "economically", i.e. we generate benefits for the individual or for a community.
We help you to acquire scientific skills, and you can use them to good effect. Business decisions often have far-reaching consequences: They determine the economic success of companies and public institutions – and ultimately affect people’s jobs. Those who make knowledge-based decisions have a clear advantage! Anyone who, in addition to this, can always be sure that they are on legally sound ground enjoy a bonus that will really pay off in their future career.
- Everything you need for the practical setting. Around 40 percent of our lecturers are highly successful in the professional field. What we offer is nothing out of this world, but rather we allow you to take flight.
- Triumph with soft skills. The world of work needs team players who can work creatively and purposefully, regardless of subjects and cultures. In our seminars you will learn how to boost inspiration and efficiency in group work. Here you will learn to become a moderator and manager of projects.
- Reaching for the sky after graduation. Many of our graduates enter professional life straight after their Bachelor’s degree. However, others are eager for more. At the University of Klagenfurt, we are able to offer you Master’s degree programmes, which are specially tailored to you: Business and Law (this programme allows you to continue your studies) as well as Business Law (in cooperation with the University of Vienna and with an even stronger focus on law, after which you will have full access to all legal professions).
- Versatile all-round talent with enhanced decision-making skills: The Bachelor’s degree in Business and Law qualifies you to take on roles as a responsible, reflective and critical decision-maker and facilitator in the sphere of business.
- Corporate legal expert: Business and Law provides you with a huge Law bonus! In the business world you will become an indispensable key player with a strong focus on the full range of legal issues.
- Create your own start-up: The degree programme equips you with all the tools you need to start your own business. Be your own boss and turn your business idea into reality!
- All things financial: Controlling and finance departments offer well-paid positions everywhere for those who enjoy working with numbers!
- Taxation: Should you wish to pursue a career as a tax consultant, the Bachelor‘s degree in Applied Business Administration will serve as ideal starting point for your professional education.
In Klagenfurt you can study at your own pace. To help you follow your path with confidence, we keep it clear of (bureaucratic) stumbling blocks and barriers. If you wish to reach your goal quickly and efficiently, we will always be there to support you. Our recommended course of study will guide you through the semesters. You work your way through the curriculum – making the most of opportunities to broaden your horizons and without wasting time. If you would like to know which courses await you before you start, take a look at the wide range of seminars and lectures.
Programme structure: a tabular overview
|Business and Economics|
|Required Subjects||General Business Administration||32|
|Methods in Social and Economic Sciences||10|
|Introduction to Gender Studies||1|
|Restricted Electives I||Choice of one of the following subjects as specialisation:||8|
|Restricted Electives II||Choice of one of the following subjects as specialisation:||8|
|Required Subjects||Introduction to Law and Corporate Law||8|
|Public Law and Public Sector Commercial Law||12|
|Labour and Social Law||12|
|Complementary fields of law||12|
|Restricted Electives III||One seminar from the special focus areas||4|
|One seminar from the special focus areas||2|
|Restricted Electives IV||Competence development / internship||8|
Introductory orientation period (STEOP)
The introductory orientation phase grants students an overview of the key elements of the degree programme and of the course of studies ahead. Thus, it provides a factual basis for the personal evaluation of the choice of degree programme. As students must successfully complete the introductory orientation phase in order to continue their studies, it is recommended that the introductory orientation phase should be scheduled during the first semester. The introductory orientation phase accounts for 10 ECTS credits and includes the courses "Introduction to Business Administration" and "Introduction to Economics", and "Basic Concepts of Public and Private Law".
Recommended course of study
Important note regarding lecture courses scheduled on a cyclical basis: Although certain lecture courses are only offered once a year, the corresponding examinations can be taken year-round on specific dates.
1. Semester (Starting in the winter semester)
|SUBJECT||ECTS||Course number + title||Course type|
|STEOP||10||601.610 Introduction to Business Administration||VO|
|607.100 Introduction to Economics|
|618.320 Principles of Public Law and Private Law|
|Commercial Law||4||618.331 Introduction to Commercial Law and Company Law||VO|
|Accounting||2||601.650 Cost Accounting I||VI|
|2||600.101 Basics of bookkeeping and accounting||VO|
|General Business Management||4||601.910 Entrepreneurship & Innovation||VO|
|4||602.804 | 602.805 Public & Nonprofit Management **||VO|
|2||601.660 Principles of Corporate Finance and Capital Budgeting||VO|
|2||601.661 | 601.662 | 601.663 | 601.664 | 601.665 Principles of Corporate Finance and Capital Budgeting **||KS*|
* compulsory attendance
** only one course must be attended
|SUBJECT||ECTS||Course number + title||Course type|
|Gender||1||197.120 Introduction to Gender Diversity||VO|
|Accounting||4||601.651 | 601.652 | 601.653 | 601.654 Internal Accounting II II **||KS*|
|4||601.641 | 601.642 | 601.643 | 601.644 External Accounting II **||KS*|
|4||601.647 Financial Accounting||VO/VI|
|Economics||6||607.200 Economic Theory and Economic Policy for students of Business and Law||VO/VI|
|General Business Management||4||602.540 People and Organizations||VO|
|Public Law and Public Commercial Law||4||618.350 Public Commercial Law||VO|
* compulsory attendance
** only one course must be attended
|Graduates will be/have||Graduates will be able to:|
|business knowledge||… explain the basic principles of business.|
|skilled at solving business problems||… identify a business problem and select appropriate solutions/methods.|
|skilled at solving legal problems||… identify a legal problem and select appropriate solutions/methods.|
|academic literacy||… research business/ legal problems by drawing on their academic skills.|
There are no limits to your personal development. Enjoy the freedom that only a university degree can offer you and expand your horizons beyond your academic studies. You can pick and choose which competences will set you apart in the world of work in the future. We have lots to offer, for instance:
- We are living in the age of digital transformation: The extension programme “Digital Skills” will equip you with the perfect amount of computer science knowledge needed for your professional career.
- Are you interested in collaborating in groups, teams and organisations to achieve the best possible results? In the extension programme “Social Competence and Organizational Learning SCOL“ we will show you how project and conflict management, mediation processes and moderation techniques can succeed.
- Do you want to learn a new language and prepare for an international career? You can learn Russian, Spanish or Chinese (and many other languages besides) at the University of Klagenfurt.
Continue to browse through this overview of all the elective subjects.
Admission to the degree programme must take place before the end of the general admission period (winter semester: 5 September | summer semester: 5 February).
A late admission until 31 October (winter semester) or 31 March (summer semester) can only be granted in exceptional circumstances.
You do not have to go through a special admission procedure to start the Bachelor‘s degree in Business and Law in Klagenfurt. Simply enrol and get stuck in!
You only have to meet the following conditions, which also apply to all other programmes:
- General university entrance qualification (e. g. Matura)
- German language skills at level B2 (CEFR)
.Prospective students who apply for admission to a German-language degree programme and whose first language is not German must provide evidence of German language proficiency no lower than level A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) at the time of application
German courses and exams are offered as part of the VAAU preparatory course by the Language Center German in Austria.
- Here in Klagenfurt, you will get to know your fellow students during the Welcome Days – and you will make new friends in the very first week; friends you will share memorable experiences with in the years to come.
- You will never be a mere (matriculation) number here: Our courses have a limited number of participants and so our lecturers will soon get to know you. We encourage and challenge you, in every way you need!
- Your degree starts with the so-called “Introductory phase (STEOP)”. No matter which school you attended or which qualifications you bring with you to the university: We will get you to the level you need in order to study successfully in the semesters ahead. In addition, the technology preparation courses will help you to rapidly progress on the road to success in your studies!
The Bachelor’s degree in Business and Law prepares you for a career in the world of business. We will teach you the necessary knowledge of English as a business language. No matter whether you want to work in the management of a Carinthian company, or whether you are drawn to Amsterdam, Bangkok or Boston: This degree programme will give you the best possible preparation. Those who want to give their career an even stronger international focus can spend a semester abroad at one of Klagenfurt University’s approximately 250 partner universities. We have plenty of scholarships on offer to help you finance your semester abroad.
Once you have completed the Bachelor's degree programme in Business and Law you can continue straight on to one of the following degree programmes. The choice is yours:
Is the degree programme in Business and Law the right one for me?
Are you interested in what lies behind various developments in the economy and how legal and economic principles evolve? Then this is the perfect degree programme for you. Given the increasing number of regulations and laws that have an economic rationale, it is particularly important to have interface expertise combining the economic and legal dimensions in your day-to-day professional life.
Can I enter the legal profession after completing my Bachelor’s degree?
Jobs in the core legal professions cannot be pursued after the Bachelor’s programme in Business and Law. However, you will have the option to enrol in the Master’s programme in Business Law and gain the degree of Master of Laws, which entitles you to practice all legal professions, such as judge, lawyer or notary.
What job prospects do I have after this degree course?
When choosing a job, naturally it all depends on where your focus lies. Graduates of this programme are, however, highly sought-after in major companies in the legal sector, in banks, insurance companies and government service sectors. Of course, you can also specialise in the field of tax law.
Is the knowledge of Latin a prerequisite for this degree programme?
You can also take this programme without any knowledge of Latin.
Which Master’s programme can I start after this Bachelor’s programme?
After the Bachelor’s programme in Business and Law you can choose between the Master’s programmes in Business and Law and Business Law.
How do I start my academic studies at the University of Klagenfurt?
Our check list will help you to get started. We have compiled everything you need to know here – from registering online right up to enrolling for a degree programme.
University of Klagenfurt