General Terms and Conditions for University Certificate Programs at the University of Klagenfurt
1. Scope of application
These General Terms and Conditions apply to all university certificate programs offered by the University of Klagenfurt and constitute an integral part of the Participant Contract concluded with the participants.
2. Application (registration)
- The application for admission to a university certificate program must be made in writing using the registration form (available from the university certificate program office) and it covers the respective university certificate program in its entirety. The application must be submitted to the director of the respective university certificate program at the University of Klagenfurt within the period specified on the website of the university certificate program. Registration is binding upon submission of the registration form and, in the event of admission to the university certificate program, entails the obligation to pay the program fee. Admission to the university certificate program is determined by the Rectorate after pre-evaluation by the program director and the Vice-Rector of Studies for Continuing Education. No legal claim to participation shall arise from this application.
- In accordance with the admission criteria stipulated in the curriculum of the respective university certificate program, applications are pre-evaluated by the academic program director and the Vice-Rector of Studies for Continuing Education. Provided that the respective admission criteria are met, applications nominated for admission will be submitted to the Rectorate subject to the number of available places. If the number of applications exceeds the number of places available or if didactic or other appropriate considerations concerning the balance of the participants so require, the program director shall propose a selection based on the applicants’ qualifications. Notification of admission to the respective university certificate program shall be issued in writing in a timely manner.
- Expenses incurred in connection with the application and selection process will not be reimbursed by the University of Klagenfurt.
3. Information sharing / Changes to your personal data
- For the purpose of administering the program and facilitating internal communication, the participants agree that upon being awarded a place on the program their name, telephone and e-mail data may be shared with lecturers, persons entrusted with the organisation of the program and those cooperation partners of the program who are involved in the specific program chosen by the participants. As a matter of principle, any personal information provided by participants will be treated in strict confidence and will not be passed on to third parties (with the exception of those mentioned above).
- As far as possible, information is shared between the University of Klagenfurt, the lecturers and the participants via e-mail. Participants agree to maintain an e-mail account at the University of Klagenfurt for the duration of the university certificate program for the purpose of sending information, documents, etc. and they further agree to regularly check their e-mails.
- Any changes to personal information must be communicated in writing without delay. In the absence of a notification of change, documents are deemed to have been delivered to the participants if they were sent to the last known delivery address (e-mail address).
4. Program fee
- The prescribed program fee is payable within 14 days, calculated from the date of the invoice. Failure to attend individual courses does not entitle the participant to a reduction of the program fee.
- With due regard for their financial responsibilities, the program director is entitled to deviate from the requirements specified under item 1 (e.g. agreement on longer payment terms, discounts), provided that this applies equally to all participants and that all participants are notified in advance.
- Terms of payment for instalments can be found on the website of the respective university certificate program. The program fees are exempt from VAT according to § 6, paragraphs 11 and 12 of the Austrian VAT Act.
- The program fee covers the costs for the provision of course materials within the usual scope.
- The program fee does not include travel, room and board costs, or other expenses incurred by the participants.
- The adherence to the agreed payment arrangements and the payment deadline are prerequisites for participation in the university certificate program. Admission of participants as non-degree students shall only be granted by the Rectorate after payment of the program fee has been made in full or after payment of the program fee by the participant pursuant to section 2.
- The participant undertakes to pay any and all expenses incurred by the University of Klagenfurt in connection with reminders and collections due to late or non-payment.
5. Cancellation policy
- Any cancellation of registration has to be submitted in writing without exception. Registration may be cancelled up to 30 days before the start of the university certificate program without incurring a fee. The date of receipt by the program office shall be deemed to be the relevant date for meeting the deadline. In the event of cancellation at a later date, the full program fee will be charged. In the event of termination after the start of the university certificate program, the entire program fee must be paid in any case.
- Cancellation or premature termination of the university certificate program by the participant does not lead to a refund or partial waiver of the program fee.
- Failure to attend individual courses of the university certificate program does not entitle the participant to a pro-rated reimbursement. The program fee must be paid in full.
- With due regard for their financial responsibilities, the program director is entitled to deviate from the requirements specified under items 1 to 3 for the benefit of the participants (e.g. reimbursement in case of termination or non-participation for reasons such as prolonged illness, pregnancy), provided that this applies equally to all participants and that all participants are notified in advance.
6. Changes to the certificate program or the execution of the program / changes to services / cancellation of the program
- If there is a compelling reason, the University of Klagenfurt reserves the right to cancel a university certificate program or to postpone it to a later date (e.g. insufficient number of participants) up to two weeks before the start of the university certificate program. In the event of cancellation, any program fees already paid will be refunded in full. No further claims shall arise.
- The academic content of the university certificate programs is planned long-term and is subject to continuous quality control. As a result, it may be necessary to adapt and modify the contents, dates, locations and lecturers of the programs or the way in which they are conducted and administered. This does not entitle participants to a cancellation or reduction of the program fee or to any other claims for compensation (e.g. travel or accommodation costs).
7. Exclusion of participants
In order to ensure that the course objectives are achieved, the University of Klagenfurt shall be entitled to exclude participants of university certificate programs from further participation if there are important reasons (e.g. unexcused absence, wilful disruption of courses, late payment). This does not entitle participants to a reduction of the program fee.
The contents as well as the materials provided within the scope of a university certificate program remain the intellectual property of the University of Klagenfurt or of the author or copyright holder and are available exclusively to the participants of the respective university certificate program. The use, duplication, processing, distribution, storage and any kind of exploitation of third-party copyrighted material is not permitted and is subject to the prior written consent of the University of Klagenfurt or the author or copyright holder.
9. Liability and compensation
- The University of Klagenfurt is not liable for any loss, theft or damage to items brought to courses by participants.
- The University of Klagenfurt is not liable for minor negligence, with the exception of personal injury. The University of Klagenfurt accepts no liability for indirect damage, consequential damage, loss of profits or damage resulting from claims by third parties against the participant.
10. Place of jurisdiction
The agreement is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Austrian courts. The court with exclusive jurisdiction for all disputes arising from or in connection with these General Terms and Conditions shall be the competent court in Klagenfurt. Austrian law applies exclusively, and international referral standards are excluded.
Version: 28 September 2018
This translation of the German web page “Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen für Universitätslehrgänge der Universität Klagenfurt” is provided for informational purposes only. Only the German version shall be legally binding, also for questions of interpretation.