Books, journal articles and other information carriers that are not present in the AAU university library can be ordered by inter-library loan.
Inter-library loans are subject to a fee (see also the Schedule of fees).
Telephone: +43 (0)463 2700 9566 and -9567
Email: fernleihe [dot] bibliothek [at] aau [dot] at
What are inter-library loans?
The AAU university library obtains literature that it does not have in its own catalogue from Austrian and international libraries.
How do you order a book via inter-library loan?
If you can’t find a book or an article in the AAU university library catalogue, you can use the “Austrian Library Association search engine” or, for Germany and other countries, the “Karlsruhe Virtual Catalogue“.
- In most cases, the association search will be the basis for your research. Once you have found your desired title there, you will find a list of all libraries that have this copy in their catalogue in the hits under “Locations”.
- You will now arrive in the online catalogue of the corresponding library and will find the catalogue details necessary for the inter-library loan under “Locations”: Crucially, this is the shelf number, but optionally also the loan period and possibly also any restrictions. Take a note of the following details: Name of the library (possibly also department) and the shelf number!
- In order to order books online by inter-library loan, please log in to our online catalogue: — You are recommended to open a new browser window to do so. You will then find the “Log in” link in the menu. Log in with your matriculation number/library number (password = your date of birth in the format YYYYMMDD).
- After logging in successfully, the “Inter-library loan” link will be displayed. After selecting this point on the menu, you can differentiate between “book” and “article”. In principle, all fields in the form can be completed. However, fields marked with a red cross are compulsory. In the case of a book: Author, title, year of publication, source, shelf number and a date for the ordering periods. The corresponding catalogue is entered as the “Source” (usually the network search engine). Please enter the previously determined shelf number and the name of the issuing library under “Shelf number”. Finally, enter the date by when you need to have the book at the latest. IMPORTANT: You must allow for a waiting time of between 5 and 10 days (processing time and post)! Once all necessary fields have been completed, click “OK” and then “Next”. The order has now been recorded and will be processed by the “Inter-library loan department”. When we receive your order, you will be informed by email and you can come and collect the copy at the loan desk of the AAU university library under your name.
How much does it cost to order a book by inter-library loan?
The costs and fees arising from inter-library loans shall be borne by the orderer/by the department in accordance with the Regulations for use. This fee comprises postage costs and the reimbursement of costs for the fees charged by the issuing library. Without anticipating the costs calculated in every individual case, the following amounts should be expected:
Domestic inter-library loan
- Book: € 4
- Copies: € 0.35 (per A4 page or as per bill)
International inter-library loan
- Book: € 12
- Copies: € 7 (for the first 20 copies, each additional A4 page € 0.20 or as per bill)
Where do I collect/return inter-library loans?
At the loan desk (opening hours). All inter-library loans come with a yellow printout. It is crucial that this stays with the item and is returned together with the inter-library loan.
Until expiration of the loan period, the media will be available at the loan desk. Books that are not collected during the loan period will be returned to the library that owns them without further notification.
It is NOT possible to return the books via the self-service return kiosk.
How will I be notified?
Please expect a processing time of 5-10 days. As soon as we have received the books or journal articles, you will be informed by email. The same procedure applies in the event of unsuccessful inter-library loans.
You can find out about the status of your orders at any time, either in your user account in the AAU university library online catalogue or by contacting the inter-library loan team:
- Telephone: +43 (0)463 2700 9566 and -9567
- fernleihe [dot] bibliothek [at] aau [dot] at
The contact address is always the AAU email address (for all members of the university).
External users will be contacted via the email address they have specified.