The University of Klagenfurt, with approximately 1,500 employees and over 12,000 students, is located in the Alps-Adriatic region and consistently achieves excellent placements in rankings. The motto “per aspera ad astra” underscores our firm commitment to the pursuit of excellence in all activities in research, teaching and university management. The principles of equality, diversity, health, sustainability and compatibility of work and family life serve as the foundation for our work at the university.
The University of Klagenfurt is pleased to announce the following open position at the Department of Economics, Quantitative Economics Division (QED, Head: Prof. Martin Wagner), at the Faculty of Management and Economics, to commence at the earliest opportunity:
Pre-Doc Position (Doctoral Candidate)
(all genders welcome)
|Level of employment:||75%||100%|
|Gross minimum salary||€ 31,200.40 p.a.
€ 2,228.60 p.m.
|€ 55,243.00 p.a.
€ 3,945.90 p.m.
|Classification as per collective agreement:||B1||B1 lit. b|
|Limited to:||3.5 years (42 months)||2 years (24 months)|
|Application deadline:||applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis until the position is filled|
Tasks and Responsibilities:
The Quantitative Economics research group at the Department of Economics has a clear focus on high-quality research and is active in a variety of topics in economics, econometrics and quantitative economics.
The candidate will be responsible for conducting research as defined in the project description, optionally resulting in a doctoral thesis in economics, econometrics or quantitative economics
The project funded by the Austrian National Bank is entitled “Instability and Nonlinearity of Long-Run Money Demand: Econometric Theory and Empirical Analysis”. For more details contact Prof. Martin Wagner (martin [dot] wagner [at] aau [dot] at).
Prerequisites for the appointment:
- completed Diploma or Master’s studies (for the pre-doc position) or completed Doctoral studies (for the post-doc position) with excellent performance in economics or a related field (e.g. statistics, mathematics, econometrics or similar) at a domestic or foreign higher education institution
- excellent knowledge in data analysis, econometrics and/or statistics,
Additional desired qualifications:
- first experiences in academic research; of particular importance for Post-Doctoral candidates
- first experiences in quantitative economics or similar fields; of particular importance for Post-Doctoral candidates
- dedication to research in economics, econometrics or quantitative economics; preferably documented by first research results in, e.g., the master or doctoral thesis or first (peer-reviewed) publications (as applicable)
- interest in academic career in economics, econometrics or quantitative economics
- willingness to participate in research, and possibly teaching and administrative tasks
- interest in working in a highly productive work environment, strong performance orientation and commitment, organizational skills
- very good knowledge of German (level C1-C2)
- very good knowledge of English (level C1-C2)
- good software and programming skills, e.g. Matlab, R, EViews or similar
The employment contract is concluded with a starting salary of € 2,228.60 (pre-doc) / € 3,945.90 (post-doc) gross per month (14 times a year; previous experience deemed relevant to the job can be recognised in accordance with the collective agreement).
The University of Klagenfurt also offers:
- Personal and professional advanced training courses, management and career coaching
- Numerous attractive additional benefits, see also aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/
- Diversity- and family-friendly university culture
- The opportunity to live and work in the attractive Alps-Adriatic region with a wide range of leisure activities in the spheres of culture, nature and sports
If you are interested in this position, please apply in German or English providing the usual documents:
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of all completed higher education programmes (certificates, supplements, if applicable)
- Other documentary evidence that may be relevant to this announcement (see Prerequisites and desired qualifications) – proof that they meet the required qualifications must be furnished three weeks prior to the actual starting date at the latest.
Send your application by email to vwl2 [at] aau [dot] at.
In the context of responding to the pandemic, the University of Klagenfurt attaches particular importance to the willingness of its members to be vaccinated. The formation and continuation of the employment relationship advertised here are subject to proof of up-to-date and valid 2G compliance (2G = vaccinated or recovered) (see – in German only – Covid 19 Supplement to the House and Use Regulations, section 2 and section 5 subsection 4 respectively).
For further information on this specific vacancy, please contact Prof. Martin Wagner (martin [dot] wagner [at] aau [dot] at) or Christina Kopetzky (vwl2 [at] aau [dot] at). General information about the university as an employer can be found jobs.aau.at/en/the-university-as-employer/.
The University of Klagenfurt aims to increase the proportion of women and therefore specifically invites qualified women to apply for the position.
People with disabilities or chronic diseases, who fulfil the requirements, are particularly encouraged to apply.
Travel and accommodation costs incurred during the application process will not be refunded.